cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

DHCP on a router running PPPoE

Hello,

I have configured a router to run PPPoE with a DSL router in transparent mode. Here is a brief description of the topology:

DSL Router (Transparent mode)-> Cisco 1841 router running PPPoE-> Cisco 2950 switch (base config)-> PC

The router is running PPPoE correctly because the Dialer interface is getting a public address and it is pingable from the router along with other external addresses. I have configured the router as a DHCP server with the default-router as the interface facing my LAN.

From my PC, I get a valid address from the DHCP server as it should be, but I do not have access to the internet. I cannot ping anything past the default-router.

I have an ACL that allows traffic from my LAN, but does it need to be applied to the Dialer interface. I am at a loss as to why I cannot access external addresses. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Tony

3 REPLIES

The most common cause is not

The most common cause is not having NAT configured on the router.

Try this. Let's assume your outside interface is f0/0 and internal is f0/1. Your network is 192.168.1.0/24:

int fa0/0

ip nat outside

int fa0/1

ip nat inside

access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

ip nat inside source list 100 interface fa0/0 overload

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Community Member

Dude, Spot on. I have been

Dude,

Spot on. I have been working on this for at least 3 days racking my brain. I should always trust the minds on the Cisco forums.

Thank you very much!!!

You're welcome! Thanks for

You're welcome! Thanks for letting us know :)

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content