cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp pools

david.penney
Level 1
Level 1

What is the correct method to configure multiple dhcp pools for seperate networks?

I have two networks 192.168.1.0 /24 and 10.1.1.0 /24 that I would like to configure two seperate dhcp pools for the attached workstations.

I have configured one dhcp pool for the 192.168.1.0 network and now dhcp clients on the 10.1.1.0 network receive dhcp information from the 192.168.1.0 pool.

Should I configure another pool for the 10.1.1.0 network and ios will automatically associate the dhcp pool for network 192.168.1.0 with the clients attached to interface 192.168.1.1?

Any help would be much appreciated.

5 Replies 5

jeff.teoch
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you have to configure another pool for the 10.1.1.0 network and all the clients that associated to this subnet or vlan on the switchport will get the dhcp ip address from this pool automatically. The router or switch should be able to differentiate between the network 192.168.10 and 10.1.1.0 pools based on the client's associated subnet or vlan and issues the correct ip address accordingly.

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

David,

You have to configure 2 different DHCP pools under the DHCP config with proper network and gatewaqy configuration.This will work automatically and your clients will pick up the addresses from the respective pools.You should be fine after that.

-amit singh

I believe that it would be helpful if David would provide a bit more information about the topology. I note that his original post indicates that there are 2 networks:192.168.1.0 /24 and 10.1.1.0 /24. My initial assumption was that they were separate interfaces or separate VLANs and I believe that assumption is shared by the responses that have been made.

But as I think about the statement in the original post that clients in the 10.1.1.0 network were getting assigned addresses in the 192.168.1.0 network I question our assumption about the topology. If the clients are getting assigned those addresses it seems to me that they must be in the same broadcast domain.

David - can you clarify the relationship of these 2 networks?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

These two networks are on the same router, but different FastEth interfaces. Configuring the two seperate DHCP pools seemed to have solved the problem...

However, if I only want to use one DHCP pool for the 192.168.1.0/24 network, what is the best way to prevent clients utilizing dhcp in the 10.1.1.0/24 network from acquiring dhcp information from my 192.168.1.0/24 dhcp pool on the router? ACL?

David

If each network is on a separate interface then I am quite surprised that the 10.1.1.0/24 devices were getting addresses from the 192.168.1.0/24 pool. Perhaps you could post details of the configuration of each interface and of the DHCP pool.

I assume that you could put an inbound ACL on the interface of the 10.1.1.0 network that would deny DHCP requests and permit other traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card