Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP problem (Release/Renew)

Hello,

I have a hotspot connection (via client-bridge) on one of the WAN interfaces (2811 router). The WAN interface gets its ip address from the hotspot dynamically.

Only the problem is when I connect to an other hotspot (via the web interface of client- bridge) the already assigned ip address stay?s and does not release/renew automatically.

Is there any way to this automatic or can it only be manual with the cli commands (release dhcp, renew dhcp).

Many thanks,

Gerard.

7 Replies 7

bwalchez
Level 4
Level 4

DHCP enables you to automatically assign reusable IP addresses to DHCP clients. This document provides an example for how to configure DHCP options such as the Domain Name System (DNS) and Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) addresses, to respond to DHCP requests from local clients behind the customer premises equipment (CPE).

This URL should help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094a52.shtml

Hi, I want to release client's DHCP IP address 10.10.24.75 which connected to Cisco Access Point, the DHCP pool and server is from my Distribution Switch, so I run this command from my Distribution Switch.

PHGDSSW01#release dhcp vlan24

Interface does not have a DHCP originated address

Interface does not have a DHCP originated address --> What does it mean? Why I cannot release?

ip dhcp pool WIFI_ASTINET
 network 10.10.24.0 255.255.255.0
 dns-server 118.98.44.100 202.134.0.155
 default-router 10.10.24.254
 option 43 hex f104.0a0a.0b78
 option 60 ascii Cisco AP c1700
!

interface Vlan24
 description *VLAN Wireless lt2 SVI*
 ip address 10.10.24.254 255.255.255.0
!

The command you are using will clear the VLAN24 SVI address *if* it had been obtained via DHCP. It is statically configured, hence the error.

The command you are looking for is:

clear ip dhcp binding 10.10.24.75

cheers,

Seb.

Hello

Do you mean you have a client pc that assoicates with a particular AP on a particular wifi SSID which obtains dhcp from the vlan related to that SSID, and when your client moves ( roam) you wish to obtain a diferent addressing from a differant SSID?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver

No, I am actually testing to bind static IP binding DHCP for some clients, so I need to release the auto IP from clients and see if they get the static IP binding that I have assigned. Anyway @Seb Rupik suggestion worked for me with command clear ip dhcp binding 10.10.24.75
 Thanks.

@atutPlease mark this post as answered.

cheers,

Seb.

@Seb Rupikthis post was not my post, I just had the similar issue with this post, so I continue to post in this thread. Thus, I cannot mark as answered.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card