Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

DHCP relay Agent

Dear All;

i need your advice

i have 1 switched network...details are here for your consideration.

enduser first switch is 2950....it has 5 Vlans...Vlan 10-20-30-40 and 50. then i have uplink to another layer 2 switch 3500. i just make these Vlan into this as well. then i have uplink to layer3 3750 fiber switch,. there i make all Vlan and assign the IP address which would be default gateway for the clients those are behind 2950 switch. for DHCP relay ...now i need to configure IP Helper-address on Vlan20...like

#Vlan 20

#ip address 1.1.1.1 255.0.0.0

#ip helper-addres 10.1.1.1

by doing this my DHCP relay would configure...i already check that my client is able to ping the DHCP server.

is this complete configuration..?

please advice

regards

soshomile

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: DHCP relay Agent

Hello Soshomile,

if 10.1.1.1 is the DHCP server ip address you are fine.

by default the bootpc requests are converted in packets with destination 10.1.1.1 and with a gateway field 1.1.1.1 that allows the DHCP server to assign a correct ip address from the correct pool to the requesting client.

DHCP server answer is sent to 1.1.1.1 and the router will send out a broadcast for the original client with the answer (the answer contains the MAC address of the requesting client)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: DHCP relay Agent

Hello Soshomile,

if 10.1.1.1 is the DHCP server ip address you are fine.

by default the bootpc requests are converted in packets with destination 10.1.1.1 and with a gateway field 1.1.1.1 that allows the DHCP server to assign a correct ip address from the correct pool to the requesting client.

DHCP server answer is sent to 1.1.1.1 and the router will send out a broadcast for the original client with the answer (the answer contains the MAC address of the requesting client)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content