Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Dial on demand

Hi Experts,

Just stuck in providing solution.

Having two 1841 with parallel point-to-point serial links.

Third  BRI/ISDN link.

Requirement : Serial-1 should be used as primary and in case of serial-1 fails serial-2 should take over and in case both serial goes down BRI should dial out and go through.

Please help m just clueless.

Thanks in Advance.

Saurabh Joshi

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Dial on demand

Saurabh

There is a simple solution assuming that the serial links are strict point to point interfaces (such as HDLC or PPP). It may be more complex if they are something like Frame Relay.

I would suggest configuring a primary static route specifying the next hop of serial-1, configure a floating static specifying the next hop of serial-2, and another floating static (with even higher distance) specifying the next hop of the BRI. It might look something like this:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 240

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 250

HTH

Rick

I have this in my mind already.

The problem is the BRI should dian only in case both the serial link goes down.

Like a Back-up dialer interface.

Thanks for the reply.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Saurabh

And if you configure as I suggest you will get the result that BRI only dials if both serial links are down.

In normal operation the static route with no weight is used. If serial-1 goes down then that static route is removed from the route table and the static route with weight 240 is used (traffic is on serial-2). If serial-1 is down and then serial-2 goes down then that static route with weight 240 is removed from the route table and the static route with weight 250 is used.

HTH

Rick

Ok thanks i will give shot to it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content