cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

diff bet load sharing and load balancing

minimintu
Level 1
Level 1

can somebody give me detailed document on load sharing and load balancing separately?....help me out...

3 Replies 3

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Nisha,

I think both terms are used to describe the same thing, which is to forward traffic over multiple parallel paths.

E.g. CEF is described as a load balancing mechanism, but to change the default behaviour, which is per-destination load-balancing, the interface command 'ip load-sharing per-packet' is used. So I think the terms are interchangeable...

Regards,

GNT

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

load sharing can be defined as:

the use of 2 or more links to provide multiple access paths from a source to a destination; with load sharing, one link could handle 20% of the traffic while another link handles 80% of the traffic; load sharing does not constitue load balancing; the load is shared among multiple paths, it may not be balanced.

ie: load sharing can be seen alot in bonded BRI links. when 1 BRI reaches a specific utilization threshold, you can have the router dial-up the second BRI to share some of the load.

load balancing can be defined as:

the use of 2 or more links to allow for the 'balancing' of traffic among them.

ie: packet based balancing - the first packet is sent down the first link; the second packet is sent down the second link; the third packet is sent down the first link...etc.

destination based balancing - traffic destined for one 'destination host/network' is sent down the first link. traffic destined for another destination host/network is sent down the second link...etc.

(these terms do seem to be interchanged as general industry terms but i do think it is correct to note there is a difference)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card