Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

diff bet load sharing and load balancing

can somebody give me detailed document on load sharing and load balancing separately?....help me out...

3 REPLIES

Re: diff bet load sharing and load balancing

Hello Nisha,

I think both terms are used to describe the same thing, which is to forward traffic over multiple parallel paths.

E.g. CEF is described as a load balancing mechanism, but to change the default behaviour, which is per-destination load-balancing, the interface command 'ip load-sharing per-packet' is used. So I think the terms are interchangeable...

Regards,

GNT

Blue

load sharing can be defined as:

the use of 2 or more links to provide multiple access paths from a source to a destination; with load sharing, one link could handle 20% of the traffic while another link handles 80% of the traffic; load sharing does not constitue load balancing; the load is shared among multiple paths, it may not be balanced.

ie: load sharing can be seen alot in bonded BRI links. when 1 BRI reaches a specific utilization threshold, you can have the router dial-up the second BRI to share some of the load.

load balancing can be defined as:

the use of 2 or more links to allow for the 'balancing' of traffic among them.

ie: packet based balancing - the first packet is sent down the first link; the second packet is sent down the second link; the third packet is sent down the first link...etc.

destination based balancing - traffic destined for one 'destination host/network' is sent down the first link. traffic destined for another destination host/network is sent down the second link...etc.

(these terms do seem to be interchanged as general industry terms but i do think it is correct to note there is a difference)

Views
Helpful
Replies