Helpful
Replies

Difference between Cisco WS-C3750G-24T-E and WS-C3750G-24T-S

gonzalopef
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

just a simple question.

Is there any hardware difference between Cisco  WS-C3750G-24T-E and WS-C3750G-24T-S or they are the same switch with different running IOS?

I have an stack of some WS-C3750G-12S-S and want to introduce a new WS-C3750G-24T. My provider offers me only a WS-C3750G-24T-E and I do not know if i am going to be able to downgrade the IOS.

Thanks in advance for your attention

Regards

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

simionov.adrian
Level 1
Level 1

There is no hardware difference. Between this two models there is only a software difference, when you buy them from Cisco / Reseller. Please note that if you buy them refurbished, software can be different.

WS-C3750G-24T-E - Enhanced Image

WS-C3750G-24T-S - Standard Image

View solution in original post

Hi

Yes the 3750G-24T-E is compatible when it comes to adding it to the stack.

Just have the right ios image version ready

However it might not be compatible when it comes to the connectors it is replacing.

the 24T has 24 Copper ports and if i do not remember wrong 0 sfp ports

but the 12-S has 12 sfp ports

so you are missing 12 sfp ports (12 vs 0) and unless they either are empty, copper ports or you can rearange links to the other 12S switches in the stack then you will have lost links.

So the answer to your question: Can you add it to the stack ? the answer is yes you can if you have the right version of the image to match the others already in the stack.

Good luck

HTH

Hi,

The main difference is that WS-C3750G-24T-E comes with IP Services Image installed and WS-C3750G-24T-S comes with IP Base Image installed

And we can run dymanic IP routing in WS-C3750G-24T-E but cant run in WS-C3750G-24T-S
WS-C3750G-24T-S upgradeable to full dynamic IP routing.

See the below difference points for the same

WS-C3750G-24T-E
• 24 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports
• 32 Gbps, high-speed stacking bus
• Innovative stacking technology
• 1 RU stackable, multilayer switch
• Enterprise-class intelligent services delivered to the network edge
• IP Services Image installed
• Full dynamic IP routing

WS-C3750G-24T-S
• IP Base Image installed
• Basic RIP and static routing, upgradeable to full dynamic IP routing

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The other posters have answered the difference between the -E vs. -S, and yes you can have a stack with different 3750 models.  However, the 3750G-12S does support a SDM template not available on other 3750/3750G models.  If you're using this special to the -12S SDM template, you'll need to change the SDM template to one that's compatible with the other series models.

10 Replies 10

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

First of all

I would look into changing the provider.

if you are to buy new switches then I would recomend the 3750x series instead of the 3750G series.

There is no hardware difference on the E and S versions of 3750, however there is a price difference that is quite steap (aprox 1.66) and if you do not user the extra features of an E switch then there is no reason whatsoever to go and spend the extra money on an E switch

Just a price comparision between the models

WS-C3750G-24T-S = 1.0 X

WS-C3750G-24T-E = 1.66 X

i normally do not go around asking people to check the prices on the internet, but i would say that you might want to get a feel for what the prices are in comparison of the two models.

here is the end of sales dates and end of Life and so on.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/eol_c51-696372.html

Since the EOS/EOL dates are announced then i would most def. stay clear of the products.

Good luck

HTH

Hello,

Thank you so much for the answer but was not what I expected. I ´ll try to explain myself in a better way.

The actual situation is the following:

- I have an stack of 5  WS-C3750G-12S-S

- One of them is broken

- I have asked my provider to change it, no cost for me as it is in the contract

- My provider has told me that they have no stock of this model but they have one WS-C3750G-24TS-E available right now

That´s  why I want to know if this new switch is compatible with the other 4 WS-C3750G-12S-S .

In order to form stack, they all must have the same IOS but the image running at the WS-C3750G-12S-S is a Ip Services and the other 4 are running an IP Base.

So, the questio is: is it posible to downgrade the WS-C3750G-24TS-E to the Ip base so thet the stack will form.

Thanks again in advance for your support

Regards.

Hi

Yes the 3750G-24T-E is compatible when it comes to adding it to the stack.

Just have the right ios image version ready

However it might not be compatible when it comes to the connectors it is replacing.

the 24T has 24 Copper ports and if i do not remember wrong 0 sfp ports

but the 12-S has 12 sfp ports

so you are missing 12 sfp ports (12 vs 0) and unless they either are empty, copper ports or you can rearange links to the other 12S switches in the stack then you will have lost links.

So the answer to your question: Can you add it to the stack ? the answer is yes you can if you have the right version of the image to match the others already in the stack.

Good luck

HTH

simionov.adrian
Level 1
Level 1

There is no hardware difference. Between this two models there is only a software difference, when you buy them from Cisco / Reseller. Please note that if you buy them refurbished, software can be different.

WS-C3750G-24T-E - Enhanced Image

WS-C3750G-24T-S - Standard Image

Hi,

The main difference is that WS-C3750G-24T-E comes with IP Services Image installed and WS-C3750G-24T-S comes with IP Base Image installed

And we can run dymanic IP routing in WS-C3750G-24T-E but cant run in WS-C3750G-24T-S
WS-C3750G-24T-S upgradeable to full dynamic IP routing.

See the below difference points for the same

WS-C3750G-24T-E
• IP Services Image installed
• Full dynamic IP routing

WS-C3750G-24T-S
• IP Base Image installed
• Basic RIP and static routing, upgradeable to full dynamic IP routing

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The other posters have answered the difference between the -E vs. -S, and yes you can have a stack with different 3750 models.  However, the 3750G-12S does support a SDM template not available on other 3750/3750G models.  If you're using this special to the -12S SDM template, you'll need to change the SDM template to one that's compatible with the other series models.

gonzalopef
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

thank you all for answering my question. You have been very helpfull to me.

I will then ask my provider to send me the WS-C3750G-24T-E.

Just to inform Joseph, I am not using any kind of SDM template.

Regards

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Just to inform Joseph, I am not using any kind of SDM template.

Actually you are.  Probably the default template, but you should verify that.

More info can be found here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a00801e7bb9.shtml

aotholland
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have same sitauation, I have to configure to stack on both switches (WS-C3750G-24T-E and WS-C3750G-24T-S)

But big question is: is 3750G-24TS-E downgradeable to IP Base IOS Software?

Can anyone help me clarification please?

Regards.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

But big question is: is 3750G-24TS-E downgradeable to IP Base IOS Software?

Can anyone help me clarification please?

It is.  All you need to do is load the IP Base image.

However, you can also have mixed IOS feature sets within a stack.  If this stack member wins the stack master election, whole stack will run this IOS feature set.  If this stack members fails, though, stack will revert to using lower feature set.  This shouldn't be a problem unless you use some of the advanced IOS features.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card