Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between CISCO887VA-K9 and CISCO887VA-SEC-K9

ph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

maybe somebody can clean up my confusion about the difference of CISCO887VA-K9 and CISCO887VA-SEC-K9.

I thought it because of the Advanced Security and Advanced IP Licenses, but it isn't, I've got the -SEC- Version now just with the Advanced Security license. So I asking myself why I bought the more expensive CISCO887VA-SEC-K9 if I have to buy the additional Advanced IP Services licenses extra...

Maybe somebody know's the difference between these to article numbers?

Thanks in advance

Philipp

15 Replies 15

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Philipp,

The only difference between CISCO887VA-SEC-K9 and CISCO887VA-K9 should be that CISCO887VA-SEC-K9

CISCO887VA-SEC-K9 -  Advanced IP Serives(Default feature set)

CISCO887VA-K9 - Advanced Security(Default feature set)

Here are the more info about both these.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542_ps380_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

thank you for your answers.

If I am right, and as also on Table 4 to see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542_ps380_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Why I don't have it installed?

License UDI:

-------------------------------------------------

Device#   PID                   SN

-------------------------------------------------

*0        CISCO887VA-SEC-K9     FCZ1623C51C

Index: 3        Feature: advipservices                     Version: 1.0

License Type: EvalRightToUse

License State: Active, In Use

Evaluation total period: 8  weeks 4  days

Evaluation period left: 8  weeks 3  days

Period used: 6  hours 8  minutes

Transition date: Oct 30 2012 09:59:56

License Count: Non-Counted

License Priority: Low

Store Index: 0

Store Name: Built-In License Storage

Index: 4        Feature: advsecurity                       Version: 1.0

License Type: Permanent

License State: Active, Not in Use

License Count: Non-Counted

License Priority: Medium

Store Index: 0

Store Name: Primary License Storage

The Cisco Licensing Team confirmed it's advanced security on my router (based on the serial numnber), and no advanced IP services...

Now, if I should have the advanced IP Services on my Router, where do I get it ???

Have a nice weekend!

if I should have the advanced IP Services on my Router, where do I get it ???

Sorry, but can you clarify the "if I should have" a bit further?  Did you BUY the router with Advanced IP Services but you only had Advanced Security delivered?

If this is what you meant, then you may need a copy of your purchase order and your proof-of-purchase from the authorized Cisco supplier.  Send an email to license@cisco.com with your Purchase Order number, your router's serial number.

You should get an initial response within a 4 hour window.  Worst case scenario of their response time I've ever dealt with was 2 hours. 

Hi,

"If I should have" it means: Sandeep... above wrote that I should get the advanced IP services when I order the 887VA-SEC-K9. That's also what I believe. But on the "sho License" output you can see, it's not.

Also the licenseing team from Cisco confirmed that on my 887VA-SEC-K9 Serial number is no advanced IP services, only advanced security. No answer from Partner help yet.

So my guess is, that I bought this license, but I don't have it. Where do I get it?

OR I am wrong and the difference between 887VA-K9 and 887VA-SEC-K9 is not the software. But if not, what's the difference? That's my question, there's for sure a difference from the price (around that what the upgrade license to advanced IP services costs)... I am still confused

OR I am wrong and the difference between 887VA-K9 and 887VA-SEC-K9 is not the software. But if not, what's the difference? That's my question, there's for sure a difference from the price (around that what the upgrade license to advanced IP services costs)... I am still confused

As it was correctly answered to you before: The difference is only software.

The "Advanced Ip services" optional software feature, P/N SL-880-AIS is never included in the base product. It must always be purchased as an additional option.

All these informations are precisely indicated in the data sheet you have linked above.

Exactly that's what I mean and don't understand.

if adv ip services is never included, what's the difference between these two order numbers?

CISCO887VA-K9 and CISCO887VA-SEC-K9

Even you write me that the difference is only the software, but there are only 2 software for this router: the adv. security (default for all 887 routers) and the adv. ip services. There's no BASE License for these routers as the adv security is the default one

Exactly that's what I mean and don't understand.

if adv ip services is never included, what's the difference between these two order numbers?

CISCO887VA-K9 and CISCO887VA-SEC-K9

The difference, as the name implies, is that the first item comes with no additional license, and the second comes with Security license.

Even you write me that the difference is only the software, but there are only 2 software for this router: the adv. security (default for all 887 routers) and the adv. ip services. There's no BASE License for these routers as the adv security is the default one

No, Adv security is not for all the 887 routers. please see answer above.

So, there are two base products that you can order. On top of that, you can order additional License options, one of which is:

SL-880-AIS (upgrade option)

Cisco 880 Advanced IP Services Image Feature License

Hi,

your explanation makes sense. Something like this:

887VA-K9 = no license

887VA-SEC-K9 = Adv. security

L-880-AIS = advanced IP services (which incl the adv. security features)

That's for sure right for the old series (870). I guess they changed that or their webpages contains wrong information.

The Table 4 on the posted website (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_459542_ps380_Products_Data_Sheet.html) is wrong. There you have already at least the adv. security on the router (Table description: Cisco IOS Software Releases and Default Cisco IOS Software Feature Sets). Also on Table 5 they need the word "Default" in regards to the adv. security sw feature... So there's no base license anymore... for my understanding. This confirms also the fact, that you cannot buy the adv. security license seperate (L-880-XXX for Adv. security, no part number exists).

Also from the pricing point of view:

887VA-K9 around 370.-

887VA-SEC-K9 around 450.-

Adv. IP License around 80.-

So the standard 887VA-K9 with the adv. IP licensen (full feature set) is the same price as the 887VA-SEC-K9. From that point of view it doesn't make sense, except the adv. security license would cost also 80.-.

Why should I ever buy a -SEC- Router when I need the adv. IP services license anyway? The adv. security do not even support DMVPN (what the old adv. security release for 870series does) etc.

Do you understand my confusion?:(

Anyway, I guess I have to bite into the sour apple now and buy this license even I am pretty sure it should be included in the -SEC- Part number... since the 880 series of course.

I agree that all this stuff is confusing and that data sheet needs improvement, however:

Also from the pricing point of view:

887VA-K9 around 370.-

887VA-SEC-K9 around 450.-

Adv. IP License around 80.-

So the standard 887VA-K9 with the adv. IP licensen (full feature set) is the same price as the 887VA-SEC-K9. From that point of view it doesn't make sense, except the adv. security license would cost also 80.-.

Actually I think that 887VA-K9 + SL-880-AIS, produces a router without IPsec, but with all the other advanced IP features, including DMVPN. I have no way to confirm this at the moment.

Why should I ever buy a -SEC- Router when I need the adv. IP services license anyway? The adv. security do not even support DMVPN (what the old adv. security release for 870series does) etc.

Because Cisco has decided that the only way to obtain "Ad. IP services" features is buying an additional, separate feature license.

The following I've got from Partner Help today:

"the difference between the VA-K9 and VA-SEC-K9 is that CISCO887VA-K9 includes Advanced Security License on default while CISCO887VA-SEC-K9 includes both Advanced Security License and Advanced IP Services License on default. But the Adv. IP Services being included on default does not mean it's activated yet. We would still need to purchase the L-880-AIS= PAK to have this license activated. The step by step process on installing/ activating the licenses are provided with the link below:"

In time of a universal image, that's not logical...

The following I've got from Partner Help today:

"the difference between the VA-K9 and VA-SEC-K9 is that CISCO887VA-K9 includes Advanced Security License on default while CISCO887VA-SEC-K9 includes both Advanced Security License and Advanced IP Services License on default. But the Adv. IP Services being included on default does not mean it's activated yet. We would still need to purchase the L-880-AIS= PAK to have this license activated. The step by step process on installing/ activating the licenses are provided with the link below:"

In time of a universal image, that's not logical...

The explaination you have got doesn't make sense to me either, knowing how licensing works, there is no such thing as "license included but not activated". And, as you noticed before, that is also incoherent with the price difference.

The plot thickens....

See Table 5:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/qa_c67-612339_ps10536_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

And the latest answer from Cisco PH:

-----

I'm sorry for the confusion this has caused. I went through a couple of internal documentations and I've seen a couple of cases regarding the confusing documentations for the 887 IOS. Upon further checking, the business unit clarified that you do not need to order anything else to get IP Services on a CISCO887VA-SEC-K9 since its already installed and activated already on default.  The L-880-AIS= is only applicable for CISCO887VA-K9 and not for CISCO887VA-SEC-K9 as per table 5 of the link below.

Regarding your case where in you do not see IP Services installed on your CISCO887VA-SEC-K9, this is something we need to process through our Technical Assistance Center (TAC) since you should have that activated already out of the box. You can contact TAC through this number: 800-553-2447.

-----

So far so good, thank you all for your help and I am happy to have ordered the correct one with adv. IP services (even it's not installed, what I get fixed through the TAC now).

Good, let us know how it goes, one thing that is sure, all  CISCO887VA-SEC-K9 are being shipped now with the Advanced IP service features disabled, so there must be plenty of other people in your same situation.

Now, if I should have the advanced IP Services on my Router, where do I get it ???

You can buy it from any authorized Cisco reseller.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card