2)Lad Balence & Load Sharing

many thanx's

6 Replies 6

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ali,

Howdy!!

HSRP mechanism is written as extra burden because HSRP inherently doesn't support Load Balancing over multiple links.Only the router which has highest priority becomes the forwarder(active router)

Though you can configure manually so that both routers forward traffic but still u cannot make traffic from a host or vlan to be forwarded by both routers at same time in HSRP.Here lies the difference.

The benefit of GLBP is a true Active/Active environment.

To read more about GLBP have a look at this link

http://www.ciscoblog.com/docstore/haipglbp.pdf

Also have a look at this discussion chain where they discuss about HSRP vs. GLBP

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Enterprise%20Data%20Center%20Networking&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddbaa7a/7#selected_message

HTH

Ankur

Hi Expert's

10xs for all ur reply's.

Ali

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi ali,

first of all in HSRP you are not able to achive the full resource utilisation... becaue in HSRP you have on router as a active and other is work as standby... so here you are not going to utilize your hardware resources as well as the link wihich is used for the redundant connection... yes you can have the multiple group for loadbalancing but its totally depends on your network designining factors like VLAN IPaddressing and subnetting... then by creating different HSRP group for the various vlan or ip subnet you can deside your active router and standby rotuer role for the different vlans...

where as in GLBP all ther resources you can utilize in your network as here each and every router used in GLBP is going to take care for the data forwrding and all...

as far as load balancing and load sharing is concern... as per my understanding i can define load balancing like you are utilizing your network resources equally... where as in load sharing you can define the thrashold and your data traffice is above your threshold then you can go for the other redundant resources for the load sharing...

still you can search it on net or on web... this is my understanding for the load balancing and load sharing i also tried to search lot... but after geting some material i can come up with this thing...

hope this helps

regards

Devang

AFAIK, both load-balancing and load-sharing are the same. They both refer to the same concept which is dirtibuting the traffic on the multiple links,routes,devices so that no single device is loaded with the traffic.

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

I dont agree with you on this point.

Load sharing means one can split the traffic from a network to be transported by different routers (paths). That's exactly what Cisco does with MHSRP. The document on Configuring Multichassis Multilink PPP states that when it tells it to configure half of the hosts with one default gateway and the second half with the other. What happens, for instance, if the first half of the hosts are off? Will the traffic of the second half be transported by both routers?

On the other hand, load balancing means distributing the traffic evenly and dynamically among different paths to avoid link congestion and saturation. This can be done in a packet-by-packet basis or per destination in a round-robin fashion. The packets sent by a host follow different paths to the same destination. All paths belong to all hosts. And this is not what MHSRP does.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

The definations given here depends on how you think about these terms. May be, I am wrong but I think they are same.

Also " Disclaimer: Contents are not reviewed for correctness and are not endorsed or recommended by ITtoolbox or any vendor "

http://networking.ittoolbox.com/documents/popular-q-and-a/load-sharing-vs-load-balancing-on-cisco-routers-2925

HTH,

-amit singh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card