cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Differentiate traffic to internet and LAN between two sites with two L3 links

NOC1
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Folks. My scenario is described in the attached diagram. We have 2 sites (A and B) linked by two ISP MPLS links. I've configured core switch in Site B with the following routes: ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.10.88.2 name ISP1 ip route 10.0.0.0/8 10.10.88.3 name ISP2 I want to configure the core switchs in Site A so the traffic back from internet to Site B flows thru ISP 1, and LAN traffic thru ISP 2. I've tested some PBR configurations with no success. We use static routes only. In Site A we have Nexus 5600, and in Site B a Catalyst 3850 Could you give me a hand to solve this? Thanks!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi 

All you traffic is already passing through a svi or physical L3 interface where your default route is, i mean svi facing your isp1. You can apply it to that svi to reroute the traffic on isp2 lan interface

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

With pbr it should work. Can you share the configuration you've done?
You'll have default route on site A pointing to isp 1 and then make a pbr for all remote sites 10.0.0.0/8 as source to go to site B subnets through isp 2

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco, thanks for your reply.

This is the configuration done:

Core Site A:
ip route 10.10.88.0/21 10.10.0.3 name ISP2 (Send all traffic to SiteB thru ISP2)

ip access-list LAN_to_SiteB (Match with traffic from LAN to SiteB)
10 permit ip 10.0.0.0/8 10.10.88.0/21

ip access-list INET_to_SiteB (Match with traffic from INTERNET to SiteB)
10 permit ip any 10.141.88.0/21

route-map SiteB_DUAL_MPLS permit 20 (Set next hop to ISP1 to traffic matching INET_to_SiteB)
match ip address INET_to_SiteB
set ip next-hop 10.10.0.2

route-map CBA_DUAL_MPLS permit 30
match ip address LAN_to_SiteB

interface Vlan1000 (SVI with Internet ingress traffic)
ip policy route-map SiteB_DUAL_MPLS
interface Vlan20 (SVI with Internet ingress traffic)
ip policy route-map SiteB_DUAL_MPLS

Core Site B:
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.10.88.2 name ISP1
ip route 10.0.0.0/8 10.10.88.3 name ISP2

Hi

I don't understand your config on site A. You said that everything should go through isp 1 except what's coming from LAN going to site B that must go through isp2.
If that's always the case, you need to add a default route:
Ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ispa-ip

Then you can keep that acl:
ip access-list LAN_to_SiteB (Match with traffic from LAN to SiteB)
10 permit ip 10.0.0.0/8 10.10.88.0/21

Create a route-map to set pbr for that previous all traffic:
route-map SiteB
permit 10
match ip address LAN_to_SiteB
set ip next-hop 10.10.0.2 (Isp2 ip)

Then go the the svi that interconnect your lan, let's assume it's vlan 10:
interface vlan 10
ip policy route-map SiteB

Hope that's clear

Thanks
Francesco

Hello,

in addition to Francesco's post, PBR has some peculiar limitations on the Nexus 5600 (as outlined in the link below).

Either way, the below is what I have come up with:

feature pbr

ip access-list LAN_TO__LAN
permit ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 10.10.88.0 0.0.7.255

ip policy route-map LAN_THRU_ISP2
match ip address LAN_TO__LAN
set ip next-hop 10.0.0.3

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5600/sw/unicast/7x/unicast_n5600_config/l3_pbr.html#58316

I forgot to mention that in Site A we have several SVIs with 10.10.0.0/16 subnetted, and if I'm not wrong, the route-map should be linked to the ingress L3 interface, right?

So, I should issue this commands on every Interface VLAN in "Core Site A":

interface Vlan1000

interface Vlan20

Is there any other way to do this?, Because I already have SVI with other PBR assigned.

Hi 

All you traffic is already passing through a svi or physical L3 interface where your default route is, i mean svi facing your isp1. You can apply it to that svi to reroute the traffic on isp2 lan interface

Thanks
Francesco

Hello,

before doing anything else, does it work for the SVIs you have applied it to ?

interface Vlan1000

interface Vlan20

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card