Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable "WEIGHT" attribute in Cisco routers

arun kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to disable the WEIGHT attribute in BGP calculation algorithm as we have other vendor routers in our network. Is there any way to do it

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Arun

3 Replies 3

tomy.nurhadi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Arun,

WEIGHT is cisco specific metric and only applies to the individual router. It's not advertised to another router. You can safely use BGP with another non-cisco router.

HTH,

Tomy

Tomy

You answered the question whether weight would prevent using BGP on a Cisco router to use BGP with other verdor router which does not support weight. But I do not believe that is quite the question that Arun asked. He asked if you can disable the consideration of weight.

I believe that it is not possible to disable weight in the BGP calculation on Cisco routers. But Tomy is correct that you do not need to disable weight to run BGP from Cisco to non Cisco routers. All you need to do is to be sure that you do not configure or specify weight on any of the Cisco routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick and Tomy,

Thanks for your replies. But we are already started using manipulating WEIGHT in Cisco routers. Thats why I wanted to check for any possiblity of disabling weight. Anyway thanks for your replies.

Arun

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: