cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discussion on collapsed design (one router to MPLS & Internet)

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Consider design for a large bank which requires security and a high available network.

Then some folks are making a case to use (2) routers, both connecting to the Internet and MPLS network.

I asked why not separating (2) routers dedicated for Internet and (2) routers dedicated for MPLS circuits.

Folks answered that since they will be using Juniper routers instead of Cisco, the feature routing-instance can give them the security and flexibility to collapse and consolidate Internet and MPLS circuits into same routers.

Question:

1) Is this a typical scenario these days to consolidate MPLS and Internet into same routers?

2) If such scenario is true due to capabilities of Juniper routers, isn't there any similar capability on Cisco routers?

1 Reply 1

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1) Is this a typical scenario these days to consolidate MPLS and Internet into same routers?

I don't like doing this especially in high security, audited networks. I do two routers to MPLS and two to the internet, like you suggested.

2) If such scenario is true due to capabilities of Juniper routers, isn't there any similar capability on Cisco routers?

Yes, it's a VRF.

Hope it helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card