Views
Helpful
Replies

Displaying the Cisco BPX CPU load

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi All,

I need to check my Cisco BPX CPU load, i've been searching for a while with no results, does any one know how?

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

smothuku
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

I think you can use following commands to check CPU load.

dspprf ,dspcds and dspprfhist.

Hope it helps you.*** plz rate it..

Thanks,

satish

Hi Satish,

I think dspprf did it, but i need some help here, the output is not readable, there is no output named CPU Utilization, what does "RT" "HSds" "LSds" stands for ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi ,

If you want more deatils of dspprf command please let me know ...I will send it..

dspprf [object type] [standby] [abort] [total] [clear]

where: objtype - object type to be displayed (P,X,R,N,Q,M): default P - see

below for further information on the objects

standby - standby (S):

abort - abort data (A):

total - total or interval data (T,I): default I;clear - clear dbs (C)

The objects that can be displayed include memory (m), process data (p),queues (q), network (n), region (r), exchanges (x)

The processes displayed

should equal 100% but not always because of round up. Processes nearer the top get higher priority and will bump other tasks when required.

IDLE=doing nothing

RSRC=assigning resources

CBUS= comms between cards in node

NETW=communication with other nodes in net including stby processor

TRNS=bg/self tests, testcons

FAIL=failures occuring in bg tasks, printing, low level tasks

USR1=user tasks at keyboard

SNMP=

PROT=SV+ etc

TXIO=loadrevs, getfwrev, serial port server etc

ILMI=ILMI interface

BUMP=priority bumping

SUMM=everythingnot shown already

** RT=real time

** HSds = hi prio send exchanges. measured in memory blocks used for this particular process

** LSds = lo prio send exchanges.measured in memory blocks used for this particular process

To fully understand the dspprf command you need to have a background understanding of

switch software structure and operation and software resources. The dspprf command,

related commands, and aborts involve nodal switch software resources. dspprf is used

to track the status of the resources used by switch software in the operation of the node.

There are a number of switch software processes.

If you want deatils about process then i can give those details in next thread.

Hope it clarifies you...Plz rate it..

Thanks,

satish

WoW, i am impressed ... i definitly want details:) , the problem is that when i do this i can see that the snmp is consuming not less than 40%, is this normal !?

Many thanks.

Hi ,

Please do "switchcc " and check the snmp usage.Are you using SNMP for polling devices ?

Details about processes :

ROOT :

The root process is the default startup process. This process initializes the databases,creates message exchanges (mailboxes), creates the other processes and terminates.

RSRC :

The resource handler process manages resources. It is the highest priority switch software process. It preempts other processes that communicate with it.

CBUS :

The CBUS process handles between the processor card and other cards in the node. It interfaces with the CBUS co-processor through the DPRAM (dual port RAM).

NETW :

The network process sends and receives network messages to other nodes and the standby CC. It performs network route optimization. In the IPX it is the interface to the MUXBUS FIFO'S. In the BPX it is the interface to the SAR coprocessor.

TRNS :

The transaction handler executes state tables. It routes events, including timers, to the proper state tables.

FAIL :

The failure handler processes failure notification events. It handles the log,broadcasts,and prints alarms. It supports StrataView maintenance logging.

SNMP :

The SNMP process supports the SNMP agent features. It handles SNMP

communications and translates between the internal protocols and controls and SNMP commands.

PROT :

The protocol process handles the protocol for communication between the node and StrataView Plus. It sends and receives application information to SV+.

BUMP :

The priority bump process handles the background rerouting algorithm that preempts lower COS connections. This process does not exist in switch software revisions after release 8.2.

TXIO :

This process handles communications through the control and auxiliary ports.It writes to the Flash PROM.

ILMI :

The ILMI process handles the ILMI ATM protocol for ATM signaling in the BPX.

SUMM :

If processes are configured not to be displayed (cnfprf) their statistics are summarized in the last entry line which is called 'SUMM'.

Other processes:

VT-1(-6) - Virtual terminal task. Executes user commands remotely.

PNAD - Ethernet process.

JOBS - Job handler.

USR1 (-3) - User commands.

TUNL - Tunnel on LAN interface.

TFS0 (-3) - TFTP subtasks.

TNET - Telnet.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

satish

Dear Satish,

I am truly impressed, thank you very much for your prompt detailed replies, but would the "switchcc" command help me, my knowledge is that it switches between the active and standby BCC cards, how would it help me with the snmp issue.

Yes i am using SNMP for monitoring the devices, but is it normal for it to consume around 40% of the BPX's processor ?

Thanks very much.

Mohamed.

Hi Mohamed,

You mentioned that you are using snmp for device polling..snmp usage depends on number of devices it is polling ad how frequently it is polling..snmp is sing 40% of cpu ..i think it is normal..no need to worry about it..If possible i will post some info about dspprf command.

Thanks,

satish

Hi Satish,

Thank you very very very much, is it ok for the BPX to have only 6% IDLE !!! If not what would you recommend to lower its CPU ?

This BPX is having 4xBXM-155 and 2xBXM-E3 cards, fully loaded, its one of our central nodes in our ATM network.

Thanks,

Mohamed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card