Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Do all of you use a RS232 to RJ45 for consoles?

I was just wondering, since most PCs motherboards nowadays do not have a RS232 connection, what do you do for that? I tried a USB to serial cable and couldn't get it to work even though it says the driver was installed correctly. Actually, I've never heard of anyone who made it work.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do all of you use a RS232 to RJ45 for consoles?

Hi,

I was using an PCMCIA card to connect to serial ports in the past.

But it was also not 100% reliable.

So I'm keeping saying my managers:

I need a notebook with a RS-232 port on motherboard!

BR,

Milan

Hi Feng,

I have a USB-to-Serial cable made by Sweex and I can confirm that it works for me using both Windows XP and Windows 7 & PuTTY. I think it uses a Prolific chipset.

In the lab and the comms rooms, I have some old Cisco 2511RJ routers. These have 8 or 16 terminal ports - you can pick them up on ebay now for very little.

HTH

Kevin

4 REPLIES

Hi,

I was using an PCMCIA card to connect to serial ports in the past.

But it was also not 100% reliable.

So I'm keeping saying my managers:

I need a notebook with a RS-232 port on motherboard!

BR,

Milan

Hi Feng,

I have a USB-to-Serial cable made by Sweex and I can confirm that it works for me using both Windows XP and Windows 7 & PuTTY. I think it uses a Prolific chipset.

In the lab and the comms rooms, I have some old Cisco 2511RJ routers. These have 8 or 16 terminal ports - you can pick them up on ebay now for very little.

HTH

Kevin

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I have been using a USB to serial adapter by Keyspan and have had good success with it.

HTH

Rick

Silver

Hi

I'm using a usb to serial adapter from ATEN, and I have no problem with that adapter.

However, be sure to always use the same usb-port on the computer, otherwise You can be forced to change the comport-number.

/Mikael

Views
Helpful
Replies