cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do You Need More Configuration Examples?

Janel Kratky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We want to know! Tell us which technology areas need more configuration examples.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

What exactly do you mean?

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

What exactly do you mean?

Thanks for your quick reply. We are trying to determine which technology areas to start with so that we can focus on developing more, complex config examples. For example; one customer we talked to said that examples were lacking when installing NAC wireless out of band.

Is there a particular area where think config examples are missing or inadequate?

Can you direct me to some current configuration examples for MPLS, OSFP, EIRGP, BGP. I would like to check them out.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Navigating to examples for MPLS, OSPF, EIRGP, and BGP can be complicated because they reside in multiple locations.

Here's an example:

From the Support page > Product Selector > Select Configure in the left nav > then Technology (in the main window, first box on the left) > then Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) > then MPLS > Configure > Configuration Examples and Tech Notes. This may help for MPLS.

The Cisco.com team is working on these navigation issues so that you can find examples in the areas you need.

Thanks,

Janel

Thanks for the links. I will check them out and based on your question try and offer anything I can.

Mike

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wireless bridge.  The current example only shows how to configure wireless bridge using GUI.  How about adding CLI too?

Wireless Bridges Point-to-Point Link Configuration Example (Document ID: 68087)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

Perfect example, thanks much! This is exactly what we want to know.

If you have other instances, please post!

Hi Janel,

You are sooooo getting +5 from me!   

neharris
Level 1
Level 1

Please.  Looking for examples of Hierarchical QoS (HQoS) keyed towards provisioning of Customer Edge (CE) ROUTERS facing carrier Provider Edge (PE) devices of an MPLS network. 

Specifically Cisco has moved through some design changes and marketing name changes for the 'Modular QoS CLI' (MQC) and added features, which have their respective examples, but the examples are autonomous or a la carte and not shown as they'd be when integrated into a more comprehensive solution scheme. 

For example a 5 class traffic model for a CE router connected to an MPLS network via Ethernet and ATM (DSL) to the PE utilizing Committed Access Rates in EF, AF4x, AF3x, AF2x, AF1x and best effort or default class traffic AND leveraging the Cisco 'Ethernet Overhead Accounting' that includes a real world example e.g. Carriers charge for all the overhead:

• Pre-amble                         7
• Start-of-Frame delimiter      1
• MAC destination                6
• MAC source                      6
• VLAN TAG                        4
• Ethertype/Length               2
• Payload                            46-1500
• CRC32                              4
• Interframe Gap                   12

not just the MACs, ethertype, payload and CRC's; the model(s) should include a variety of classification methods to highlight the Cisco software including policing of the EF traffic where exceeding traffic is dropped and another where it's marked down; Utilization of Cisco's Low Latency Queuing (LLQ) for that higher traffic; other classes should include newer Cisco shaping techniques like Class Based Shaping instead of the Generic Traffic Shaping usually found;  drop management techniques should be included in the bottom classes to further highlight the software's modular nature like Distributed Weighted Random Early Detection (dWRED).

To add real value and really show off Cisco's software instead of the answer to this question being a few different examples of the QoS classification, marking and queuing in the middle of a generic configuration, it should also add other 'feature flash' (I'll call it) like adjustment of Cisco's queue-limit; setting of the hardware transmit ring; use and effect of the interface bandwidth command (both inside and outside of the policy-map's classes); max-reserved-bandwidth modifications and effect; advantages in using Cisco's random-detect exponential-weighting-constant value and so on.

It's great to have all these features, Cisco has great software.  However I've found that mixing the features in a design at your desk is difficult.  In order to create a good design it's necessary to be sitting at the CLI to test the limits of integration since the parameters and their variable bounds change based on context.  What may appear to work on paper based on all the documentation, is either rejected by the IOS during implementation, or accepted by the IOS but has no effect, or empirically demonstrates a completely unexpected behavior.   Having examples that Cisco marketing and engineering has put some serious thought into in terms of showing off feature integration, that are complete tuned configurations top to bottom, would be incredibly valuable to those whom are able extrapolate to derive answers to their configuration challenges through inferred information in those feature uses and boundaries.

I hope you're able to use this, or maybe poll to validate my assertions first and then, hopefully, execute.  Or maybe you'll just send me a link that I've been missing all along – THAT would be great!

cheers,

->N

Wow, great insight and information. I can certainly understand needing a more comprehensive, integrated solution. We'll be taking your reply back to our team to discuss further. Much appreciated!

Hi Janel,

I am not sure if this can be strictly classified as an additional configuration example, but here it is:

The behavior of cisco BGP routers when sending MEDs to eBGP peers is not documented in any online document I have come across up to now.

There have been at least two relatively recent threads (and both close in time) where I think the questions of the authors were fundamentally due to

the lack of documentation for this behavior. Here are the threads:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1319929

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/1320862

My understanding is that the standards do not restrict implementations regarding this behavior and what actually happens depends on the vendor. Intuitively people do not expect MEDs to be sent to an eBGP peer without explicit configuration on the AS that originates a route. However, this can happen under certain circumstances and it can affect incoming traffic flows of the originating AS e.g. when there are 2 connections to the same upstream ISP (i.e. upsteam might receive MEDs from the originating AS and use them to decide how to send traffic back to the originating AS). The effect can sometimes vary depending on how exactly the IGP metric is being determined (e.g. in a case where 2 border routers have static routes to null0 with AD 254 and use network command to inject routes into BGP, if the border routers also redistribute the statics into OSPF, strange things can happen).

The only documentation I could find regarding this issue is on page 19 of the cisco press title "BGP Design and Implementation" (R. Zhang and M. Bartell). So, could we have a online document with a detailed description of the behavior of cisco routers when sending MEDs to eBGP peers under various circumstances, related show command output, pitfalls to avoid and any configuration needed so that administator maintains informed control over what is being advertised?

Kind Regards,

Maria

Hi Maria,

This is exactly what we are looking for - many thanks!

Hi,

I need configuration example for Dial Peer/ SIP trunking between Unified Communication manager & Unified Communication manager express over WAN connection.

Can please guide me for this scenario? or can you give me the existed configuration example link.

Thanks

Sandeep

kymorris
Level 1
Level 1

880 - 890 series configuration examples for wireless.

Any of these ISR type devices that contain wireless components are a nightmare to configure. I found one sample config but it was completely useless.

Actually a basic config for the whole device would be good, since people tend to think that they are plug and play but they are not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: