Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Does a cisco router with no access lists applied allow all traffic through ?

Hi.I'm not quite sure what the default settings are for a cisco router.If no access-lists are configured on the router , will It default to allowing all traffic through ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Does a cisco router with no access lists applied allow all traff

In general terms we would say that yes the default is that a Cisco router with no access lists will allow all traffic to go through (assuming that it is correctly configured with IP addresses etc).

There might be some very specific cases where certain types of traffic do not work without special configuration - for example the router will not process SSH traffic until you have generated RSA keys.

But i believe that your question is intended to address the general behavior and so I would say that the answer is yes it allows all traffic through.

HTH

Rick

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

In general terms we would say that yes the default is that a Cisco router with no access lists will allow all traffic to go through (assuming that it is correctly configured with IP addresses etc).

There might be some very specific cases where certain types of traffic do not work without special configuration - for example the router will not process SSH traffic until you have generated RSA keys.

But i believe that your question is intended to address the general behavior and so I would say that the answer is yes it allows all traffic through.

HTH

Rick

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

Just to clarify this, this would be SSH traffic to/from the router as a host, SSH traffic would normally transit a router like any other traffic or as Rick described, i.e.:

Thanks for the details !

Ok , Thanks again !

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content