cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Cisco 1811 know about PPPoE?

wizard1983
Level 1
Level 1

Who knows, can I use Cisco 1811 (or 18xx series) to establish PPP connection over Ethernet(PPPoE)?

If not, what model should I use to do it (Cheaper model is prefered).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jheckart
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you can absolutely use an 1811 to do PPPoE. You can also use a lower comparable line such as the 871. Both have dual-ethernet with managed switches. The 800 series has less capacity, and fewer features.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jheckart
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, you can absolutely use an 1811 to do PPPoE. You can also use a lower comparable line such as the 871. Both have dual-ethernet with managed switches. The 800 series has less capacity, and fewer features.

Thanks! - )

I will kill our partners, who integrate Cisco for us!

What was recommended?

We've got aprove for Cisco 1811(for PPPoE). But after about month post-buy our Cisco integrator told that it's impossible to use such model because it's not able to make PPPoE.

But couple of days ago they told us new IOSs or insertions solved this problem and we can make PPPoE.

But now after your answer I have new question for integrator. Why not 800 series?

below config has been tested successfully on 1712 router with ADSL. see if this helps.

vpdn enable

!

vpdn-group pppoe

request-dialin

protocol pppoe

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

duplex auto

speed auto

pppoe enable

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

!

!

i

interface Dialer1

mtu 1472

ip address negotiated

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer-group 1

ppp authentication chap callin

ppp chap hostname abc.com.au

ppp chap password xxxxxxx

!

!

ip access-list standard SET-DF-0

access-list 1 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card