Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

dot1q Trunking with NM-T3 card...

Yet another question. I have a test network environment setup and I'm trying to setup trunking between my two switches. My question is, what encapsulation do my serial interfaces on the routers need to be to allow dot1q trunking? Right now the encap is HDLC. I've included a network drawing attachment.

TIA!

• WAN Routing and Switching
14 REPLIES

Re: dot1q Trunking with NM-T3 card...

I'm not sure why you'd use dot1q trunking in this example. Will you be doing intervlan routing on switch 1 or switch 2?

Based on the diagram you've provided the encapsulation between the routers is fine. No need to use dot1q, just set the clock rate on one of them.

Yes, intervlan routing and VTP.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

802.1q runs on ethernet. You can't make serial interfaces run 802.1q.

Jon

Obviously, but maybe mgar's concern is to allow either of his routers to perform inter-VLAN routing for each respective Ethernet segment, IN ADDITION to routing VLAN traffic across the serial link.

If that's indeed what you're going for mgar, you need to go into interface config mode for your Fa0/0 interfaces on each router and configure the "encapsulation dot1q ____" command (fill in ____ with the ID of the vlan you want the router to know about).

(Please rate helpful posts.)

Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. I'll give that a try (on Monday) and update this post.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Seth

I wasn't trying to be difficult/funny and what may be to obvious to you may not be obvious to someone else.

Maybe Mgar's concern is to allow vlan traffic to be routed across the connection but i didn't interpret the question that way.

I do try to be helpful :-)

Jon

Who said you were being difficult? Who said you were missing the obvious?

All I did was offer _my_ take on mgar's question...

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Seth

Looks like a misunderstanding. I wasn't saying i missed the obvious rather the way you said obviously - may have been obvious to you and to me but the OP may not have known this.

Anyway not worth worrying about.

Jon

I don't have the option for "encapsulation dot1q ____" on either of my routers. I'm working with two C2650XM's. One is ver 12.3(14)T7 and the other is ver 12.3(5a).

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.