Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

doubt abt the EMI and SMI images on 3560 switches

hi all i have a silly doubt. if i buy a 3560 with the SMI image loaded in it. and then i install a EMI image in it then will it support the EMI images. i mean my main doubt is is it just abt the images or do we need a license on the switch for running a EMI image in it.

regards

sebastan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Blue

Re: doubt abt the EMI and SMI images on 3560 switches

in short, YES, you can load an EMI on your 3560 as it's currently configured.

(no license key or such to activate is required)

if you have an SMI switch that can support EMI image, as in most cases, then you can upgrade to the EMI image with the EMI software downloaded from cisco.com.

technically, you are required to have purchased an EMI license to be legal to use the image.

(although you can load an EMI image at anytime)

the license is NOT installed anywhere, just a piece of paper that confirms you paid for the software.

if you need further information on licensing please contact cisco licensing at http://cisco.com/go/license (requires CCO login) or call 800.553.2447 and ask for 'licensing'.

3 REPLIES
Blue

in short, YES, you can load an EMI on your 3560 as it's currently configured.

(no license key or such to activate is required)

if you have an SMI switch that can support EMI image, as in most cases, then you can upgrade to the EMI image with the EMI software downloaded from cisco.com.

technically, you are required to have purchased an EMI license to be legal to use the image.

(although you can load an EMI image at anytime)

the license is NOT installed anywhere, just a piece of paper that confirms you paid for the software.

if you need further information on licensing please contact cisco licensing at http://cisco.com/go/license (requires CCO login) or call 800.553.2447 and ask for 'licensing'.

hi thanks a lot. so u mean to say if i buy a new 3560 switch which is capable of having a EMI image then i can easily upgrade it to EMI right.

in the switch ios download section does it specify EMI and SMI images seperately. can u pls update me on that. thanks a lot once again.

regards

sebastan

Super Bronze

Hi - Yes, that's right.

newer versions of IOS are now branded (and the images are named) IP Base or IP Services but this just means SMI or EMI.

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Views
Helpful
Replies