Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

DSL Load Balancing - URGENT

Dear,

I need to configure DSL Load Balancing on Core Cisco Switch 4506-E. I have a Router Cisco 2811 with 2GE Ports and a Firewall Cisco ASA5505. I have 8 Physical DSL Connections with 1Mb each.

I need to combine that 8 Mb on Core Switch and allow each end user to access the Internet via the available DSL connection which means that every user has 8 Mb available.

I'm a bit confused as to how I should configure this. I need help on configuration since I have limited time left for site deployment.

Regards,

Farhan.

7 REPLIES

Re: DSL Load Balancing - URGENT

AFAIK, the best that you're going to get is going to be load sharing via static routes. You'll need to have 8 static routes pointing to each of the DSL provider's respective gateways. You won't be able to combine them for 8Mb connections though.

So, you'll install static routes like:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.2

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.3.2

etc.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Dear John,

Thanks for your response.

What will be the response In case if one DSL goes down? Will users be able to access the internet via other DSL Connection.

One more question, I need to create VLANs for 6 separate departments, what will be the scenario in that case for Internet connectivity?

Regards,

Farhan.

As long as the 4506 has routing enabled, creating your vlans will be routed correctly. With equal cost routes, the switch will put all default routes in the routing table. You can create an sla and track that on your static route. If for some reason the provider goes down, that static route can be taken out of the table and your other 7 will be left.

HTH,

John

* Please rate all useful posts *

Dear John,

This means that if one DSL Modem Fails or gets choked due to excessive traffic, Internet Traffic will not be shifted or distributed over to another link?

What if I use ADSL Interface Card on the Cisco 2811 Router? Will that help in shifting of Internet Traffic from one link to another? If this is possible, please clarify in detail with configuration commands.

Regards,

Farhan.

The only technology that I'm aware of Cisco-wise is going to be PfR/OER. Otherwise, you could look into getting a load balancer like Fatpipe or F5:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/oer/configuration/guide/h_oerstr.html

Dear John,

The problem over here is that the customer has limited budget and site is ready for deployment. I need to manage with the hardware resources that I have currently.

I need to configure the 4506-E Switch with Internet Load Balancing/Sharing. I’ll connect that Switch with Cisco 2811 on one of its GE Port. The other GE port will be used up by Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall.

Can you please help me with the configuration of this scenario or if you have any other better option, please let me know at the earliest.

Regards,

Farhan

If more details are required, please let me know.

Main Taks is to configure 8x DSL Connections of 1 Mb each on Core Cisco Switch 4506-E so that every user has access to all the DSL connections. In case if one DSL goes down, users are able to access the internet via other DSl Connection.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content