cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dsu bandwidth setting for 10mb mpls link

Bedevere Curry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question in regards to the dsu bandwidth statement.

If we are using 10mb mpls link, should we change it the dsu bandwidth statement?

nh112#sh run int se1/0

Building configuration...

interface Serial1/0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

load-interval 30

dsu bandwidth 44210 <<<<<<<<

service-policy input Verify_QOS_IN

service-policy output QOS_OUT

end

nh112#sh run int se1/0.100

Building configuration...

interface Serial1/0.100 point-to-point

description ATT MPLS VPN: 

bandwidth 10000 <<<<<<<<

ip address 205.27.33.55 255.255.255.252

ip flow ingress

ip flow egress

snmp trap link-status

frame-relay interface-dlci 100 IETF

end

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

My bet is that it is not a serial link connection at that line rate, and its not encapsulated frame relay either.

What details do you have from the carrier ?  They should provide you with a minimum of the physical charactaristics of the hand off.

View solution in original post

rfalconer.sffcu
Level 3
Level 3

The bandwidth statement is used by routing protocols to make routing decisions. Having the full DS3 bandwidth on the s1/0 interface shouldn't matter in the routing calculation since the subinterface(s) is what's being used.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If we are using 10mb mpls link, should we change it the dsu bandwidth statement?

No, all that corresponds to is your physical port bandwidth.  The 10 Mbps is a logical cap within your WAN provider's cloud.  For that, you can (and probably should) shape your egress to not exceed the logical cap.  (BTW using the bandwidth statement on the subinterface does not shape.  You would need to explicitly shape.  Also BTW, your provider is likely providing 10 Mbps of L2 bandwidth but I believe most Cisco shapers only account for L3.  I.e. you need to shape for somewhere in the range 8.5 to 9.5 Mbps, L3, to not overrun 10 Mbps, L2.)

6 Replies 6

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

My bet is that it is not a serial link connection at that line rate, and its not encapsulated frame relay either.

What details do you have from the carrier ?  They should provide you with a minimum of the physical charactaristics of the hand off.

The circuit is up and running and we are using frame-relay encapsulation. We have it configured the same way on both ends. Just wondering if the dsu bandwidth should reflect 10mb as our mpls data rate provided by the carrier is 10mb.

rfalconer.sffcu
Level 3
Level 3

The bandwidth statement is used by routing protocols to make routing decisions. Having the full DS3 bandwidth on the s1/0 interface shouldn't matter in the routing calculation since the subinterface(s) is what's being used.

Thank you

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

No, all that corresponds to is your physical port bandwidth.  The 10 Mbps is a logical cap within your WAN provider's cloud.  For that, you can (and probably should) shape your egress to not exceed the logical cap.  (BTW using the bandwidth statement on the subinterface does not shape.  You would need to explicitly shape.  Also BTW, your provider is likely providing 10 Mbps of L2 bandwidth but I believe most Cisco shapers only account for L3.  I.e. you need to shape for somewhere in the range 8.5 to 9.5 Mbps, L3, to not overrun 10 Mbps, L2.)

Thanks Joseph. Much appreciated everyone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card