cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual ISP with PfR Config

mealsplus
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help with this, its new territory for me. We have two bonded T1's from one ISP currently. We would like to add two more T1's from another ISP for load balancing and for failover purposes.

Can I use two of the Two Port T1 WICS in a 2811 router to connect the four T1 lines? That will provide me with two additional slots for future expansion, if needed. Can the 2811 handle a full 6Mbps throughput?

Also, assuming the above configuration works, I would like to implement the new Performance Routing, PfR to improve bandwidth usage. Thanks again for any help.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can connect the additional circuits to any interface you like. 6 mbps is ok for a 2811 and in fact you could use a smaller router as well. PfR is not a cisco term so you need to clarify on that.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thank you for info on the 2811. From what I have been reading, Performance Routing, PfR is the new command for Optimized Edge Routing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps8787/products_ios_protocol_option_home.html

That aside, I'm just trying to make sure my configuratin will load balance accross all four T1's. What is the best practice for this, if there is one?

Hi, ask your ISP if they support MLP on the circuits, or not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco