Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual WAN - Return Traffic

Steven Mills
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two links to my ISP, one using a static default route (over ADSL) and the other is via a BGP peering. Both of the links route me a /29 which I have configured onto loopback interfaces. My issue is that traffic coming in over my BGP link headed for my routed subnet is having its return traffic go out via the ADSL link due to the default route. I have confirmed this my trying to ping 8.8.8.8 with a source of the loopback (which times out) then adding a static route for 8.8.8.8 over the BGP link, the ping is successful.

I thought that I would use PBR to redirect return traffic but from what I have read the policy should be applied on the source interface, I have tried to apply the below policy to the router without any luck.

int loop1

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

ip policy route-map second-link

!

ip access-list extended acl-routed-2

permit ip 1.1.1.1 0.0.0.0 any

!

route-map second-link permit 10

match ip address acl-routed-2

set ip next-hop 2.2.2.1

!

I have also tried applying a similar policy on the dialer interface of the ADSL link but it never matches the ACL, any ideas on how to make the return traffic go back out the same interface it came in on?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Steven Mills
Level 1
Level 1

I needed to add ip local policy route-map second-link

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

well first of all PBR has to be applied to the inbound interface of the traffic in you case the LAN interface if the traffic being soured from the lan

if the traffic sourced from the router itself like the ping thing you doing then apply it to the global config not to the interface

anyway you might need either to workout your routing config

or you can use PBR to control which traffic over which link to go

use the below document as an eample for this concept

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8313

hope this help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card