Views
Helpful
Replies

duplex mode on serial interface

nitass
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a simple question. How can I configure and show duplex mode i.e. full or half duplex of serial interface which is running PPP or HDLC? Could anyone please advise?

Thanks,

Nitass

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Nitass,

The serial interfaces are always full-duplex because they are point-to-point and they do not run over a shared medium. If you check the connector pinout you will see that each serial interface has separate Tx and Rx pins and therefore can transmit and receive data simultaneously. Therefore, there is no duplex setting and I believe it would not make sense.

Check this page for pinout details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/hardware/notes/marcabl.html

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Nitass

You are confusing the data link layer with the physcial layer.

HDLC, which is at the data link layer, can indeed be run in half or full duplex.

However whether or not it does or doesn't largely depends on the capabilities of the underlying physical transmission layer. And as Peter says serial interfaces are point-to-point and so always run at full duplex.

Jon

No, it is not possible to set it.

The only serial protocol that are half-duplex, are SDLC multipoint for IBM networking. Legacy thing not of interest to us.

6 Replies 6

ktwaddell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Unless someone can prove otherwise, there is no duplex setting as you don't run ethernet over serial.

Why di you think you need it?

Kev

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Nitass,

The serial interfaces are always full-duplex because they are point-to-point and they do not run over a shared medium. If you check the connector pinout you will see that each serial interface has separate Tx and Rx pins and therefore can transmit and receive data simultaneously. Therefore, there is no duplex setting and I believe it would not make sense.

Check this page for pinout details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/hardware/notes/marcabl.html

Best regards,

Peter

Hello,

I have seen some web mentioned that PPP and HDLC support either half or full duplex mode but I have not seen any commands except only

half-duplex timer

under interface serial. So, I think it might be possible to set it.

Please let me know if I misunderstood anything.

Thank you very much,

Nitass

Nitass

You are confusing the data link layer with the physcial layer.

HDLC, which is at the data link layer, can indeed be run in half or full duplex.

However whether or not it does or doesn't largely depends on the capabilities of the underlying physical transmission layer. And as Peter says serial interfaces are point-to-point and so always run at full duplex.

Jon

No, it is not possible to set it.

The only serial protocol that are half-duplex, are SDLC multipoint for IBM networking. Legacy thing not of interest to us.

I got it. I am so appreciated for your help. :-)

Thanks,

Nitass

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card