cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamips on AMD

aneesh.ts
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know the AMD hardware configuration needed to run dynamips confortably. I am confused regarding the hardware/Software to go for. Intel or AMD. Windows or Linux???

Thanks in advance.

AneesH

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

I've loaded GNS3 on both Windows and Linux and noticed Linux (Ubuntu) was able to run my IPExpert lab the best. This lab has 15 routers. I utilize my laptop to connect in, and the Ubuntu box just runs GNS3 fine. The Ubuntu box has an Intel Duo 2.66 with 4GB of RAM. My Vista laptop has a Duo 2.4 with 4GB of RAM and it would get sluggish beyond 6-7 routers. Tweaking IdlePC works great, although it takes patience and time. Ubuntu I was able to get more routers started and working with less time then Windows. I'm a big Windows guy, but Ubuntu definitely takes the cake for this app.

Hope this helps, rate if it does,

JB

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

stanleyli
Level 1
Level 1

it dosen't matter you run dynamips on AMD or Intel pc but there might be differences between Windows and Linux version. Normally you need a pc with more than 1G RAM to run dynamips smoothly

I would like to run atleast 8 sessions. Heard I would have to run atleast Intel Core 2 Quad Processor with 4 GB RAM. What would be the AMD configuration i should go for in such a case?

i run dynamips with intel core 2 duo and 2 gig ram.

Aneesh,

If you want to have more router sessions with dynamips, try to use 2 or more machines and distribute the lab across multiple hyperwiser instances (only the port on the hypervisor needs to be different)

I run dynamips on 2 Dual core 1Gb machines and can successfully emulate 8 routers

HTH

Narayan

I have an AMD64 with 1 GB RAM running Debian Linux (etch 64-bit) and i use 64 bit dynamips.

I was able to run 9 routers, with BGP and OSPF and my CPU utilisation was at 60-65%, with 3640-JS image.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

if you really want to lower cpu on your PC with minimum specs, save an idlepc value. there's a tutorial on how to do this http://www.dynagen.org/tutorial.htm#_Toc193247999

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

I've loaded GNS3 on both Windows and Linux and noticed Linux (Ubuntu) was able to run my IPExpert lab the best. This lab has 15 routers. I utilize my laptop to connect in, and the Ubuntu box just runs GNS3 fine. The Ubuntu box has an Intel Duo 2.66 with 4GB of RAM. My Vista laptop has a Duo 2.4 with 4GB of RAM and it would get sluggish beyond 6-7 routers. Tweaking IdlePC works great, although it takes patience and time. Ubuntu I was able to get more routers started and working with less time then Windows. I'm a big Windows guy, but Ubuntu definitely takes the cake for this app.

Hope this helps, rate if it does,

JB

Hey james,

That has been really haepful man. I heard about Ubuntu linux having dynamips built in....Am going to buy a Intel Core 2 quad PC this weekend.I've made up my mind to go for ubuntu linux. VMware would also be installed to run Windows in that. :)

I would require your help in setting GNS in that man if you don't mind.

Aneesh,

Let me know. It's as straight forward as it comes. The site has a great setup guide and they also have a support forum specifically for the software. The site is located here http://www.gns3.net/.

Hope this helps,

JB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card