Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 Connection Cable Type

cnadvisers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've a customer doing a E1 connection from 2611XM to a Lucent/Alcatel device. I checked through Cisco web and notice there's a module (Cisco E1/T1 ISDN PRI) which is suitable. My customer (Lucent/Alcatel) end told me their connector is RJ45, and since the Cisco module also a RJ45 connector, can we use the plain UTP cable?

I gone through Cisco site and for this particular module, there's only 2 type of cables offering as follows:

CAB-E1-RJ45BNC - E1 Cable RJ-45 to Dual BNC (Unbalanced)

CAB-E1-RJ45TWIN - E1 Cable RJ-45 to Twinax (Balanced)

I can't find the right cable. And I've heard actually the cable is RJ-48. Could it be possible we crimp the cable our own?

2 Replies 2

teodorgeorgiev
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

most of the E1 connections now (voice and dial-up gateways especially) possess the RJ-45 (RJ-48C indeed) connector. So - yes, you can use a regular UTP cable to interconnect your Alcatel PBX/PSTN switch (or whatever) with the Cisco gateway.

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The cable used for E1 lines with RJ4 termination is pretty much a standard. You should be able to crimp your own. The pins used for E1 circuits are:

1 - RX ring

2 - RX tip

4 - Tx ring

5 - Tx tip

Therefore, to make a cable to connect these up,use the following pin connections:

1 -- 4

2 -- 5

4 -- 1

5 -- 2

If the above does not work, it may mean that the pins are swapped on one of the sides. In this case, a straight-through cable should do the job.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card