Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 Connection Cable Type

cnadvisers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've a customer doing a E1 connection from 2611XM to a Lucent/Alcatel device. I checked through Cisco web and notice there's a module (Cisco E1/T1 ISDN PRI) which is suitable. My customer (Lucent/Alcatel) end told me their connector is RJ45, and since the Cisco module also a RJ45 connector, can we use the plain UTP cable?

I gone through Cisco site and for this particular module, there's only 2 type of cables offering as follows:

CAB-E1-RJ45BNC - E1 Cable RJ-45 to Dual BNC (Unbalanced)

CAB-E1-RJ45TWIN - E1 Cable RJ-45 to Twinax (Balanced)

I can't find the right cable. And I've heard actually the cable is RJ-48. Could it be possible we crimp the cable our own?

2 Replies 2

teodorgeorgiev
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

most of the E1 connections now (voice and dial-up gateways especially) possess the RJ-45 (RJ-48C indeed) connector. So - yes, you can use a regular UTP cable to interconnect your Alcatel PBX/PSTN switch (or whatever) with the Cisco gateway.

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The cable used for E1 lines with RJ4 termination is pretty much a standard. You should be able to crimp your own. The pins used for E1 circuits are:

1 - RX ring

2 - RX tip

4 - Tx ring

5 - Tx tip

Therefore, to make a cable to connect these up,use the following pin connections:

1 -- 4

2 -- 5

4 -- 1

5 -- 2

If the above does not work, it may mean that the pins are swapped on one of the sides. In this case, a straight-through cable should do the job.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card