cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 controller how to?

cool_mhar04
Level 1
Level 1

first time working on an E1 connection, my router 2800 need to be connected using the newly connected E1, this router need to be routed statically to one of our site 2800 router as well, how is this being configured? since this has 32 channels, i read about it but im not really particular with, could anyone discuss its concept, such controllers why it this need to be grouped into called slots, and what does it mean by does called slots, hope you could help me with my problem, and how it is being configured. Thank you in advance!

4 Replies 4

worldcalltel
Level 1
Level 1

First, You need to know what are the parameters needed to configure. This has to be match between your Site or ISP. Namely, Signaling, framing (CRC-4 or NO CRC-4)and linecoding. For E1 the default linecoding is HDB3. The slots in a router, indicates where the WIC are placed. It depends on what kind of router you are using. For 3700 series routers for example, E1 3/0, 3 - means the slot card of your router and 0 - means the port number on which the slot resides.

Second, Is it an E1 R2 or E1 PRI? And what purpose you intend to use E1 connection?

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hey,

Simply put, E-1 configuration could be divided into the following points:-

1. E-1 Controller Config.

2. E-1 PRI Config

OR

2. E-1 Data Config

And all of them could be found well described in the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/prod_configuration_guide09186a00800c19f0.html#wp70881

Please feel free to revert back in case you want anything in more detail.

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

PS: Please rate if it helps.

Hi Samuel,

I have 1 2Mbps leased line terminating to Serial interface of Cisco 2811 router. Now, I have got a ISDN E1 link for backup, for which I want is to configure the E1 controller in such a way that whenever serial link goes down, this ISDN line should come up.

Thanks in Advance,

Suresh

Hi ,

Configure the E1 as follows.

isdn switch-type in global config mode and

Controller E1 1/0

framing esf

line code b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-32

interface serial number:23

ip address ip-address

encapsulation ppp

dialer map protocol next-hop-address name hostname speed 56|64 dial-string[:isdn-subaddress]

dialer-group group-number

PPP chap hostname

ppp authentication chap

ppp chap passoword.

You need to configure follwoing in global config mode.

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

username remoterouter password password.

after configuring E1 and serial line , go to serial interface of leased line and configure the following.

backup delay 5 120

backup interface serialinterface ( configured for isdn)

you need to configure same things on remote end also.You can use dialer interfaces for connecting multiple remote sites.

Hope it helps you.

thanks,

satish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card