Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 link fraction

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just now i got one E1 4mbps link for my network. The problem is how to divide the link for my two existing vlans. 2mps each.

Please reply me asap.

Thanks

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, beside that there are no 4mb e1 circuits, perobably you got 2 x 2mbps circuits.

Anyway what you may want to do, is to limit each vlans to to 2mbps. Probably you don't want to do this, because even when the full 4 mbos circuit is free, still you are limited to 2mbps. But, it can be done with traffic shaping if you really want.

Hi, I have 4mbps link and the provider will distribute from his end and from my end i have to segregate. I think i have to use rate-limit but i dont have too much idea about it. If thr is any solution Plz give me.

This link i directly connected to core switch and I have two vlans, where shud i apply the rate-limit? What i will define on the interface where the E1 link is connected and what shud i define on vlans.

Thanks in Advance.

hi

you can configure the rate-limit under the interface which is connected to the service provider.

you can refer my other post which will help to get CAR(rate limit) configured.

regds

thanks, but i want to know what shud i configure on the port where i terminated the E1 link and what shut i configure on the vlan.

Thanks

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

i dont think u can have 4Mbps on a single E1 link if you are talking about ethernet drop with 4 Mbps capacity then you can achieve the same using CAR(Committed Access Rate) Rate-limit commands or even policy maps with police command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/qos/configuration/guide/qcdcar.html

if its seperate individual links then you can think off using policy based routing where in one of your subnets uses the first link and the other subnet uses the second link.

regds

Hi SP,

ITs a 4mbps E1 link and the provider will divide from thr end. In my network i have to divide. still i didn't get any solution, if u have any idea plz send me.

Thanks

hi

Where are you going to terminate this 4 Mbps link and whts the kinda output your sp is going to provide ?

as i asked is it going to be ethernet drop or serial drop.

if its serial then you may require the wic cards and other accessories to make the circuit up.

if its ethernet then you wont have scalability issues later on.

regds

Hi, i have a Equipment that is ETU and UTP cable with RJ-45 connector i am getting from this and this cable i connected on one of the interface of core switch.

I have two vlan on the core now i want to segregate the vlan here.

thanks

Hello ,

As i hv understood from the post u basically need to assign traffic certain predefined limits of b/w rt? and u want to do it with CAR.I am not sure of the exact scenario and how u will apply this, but i believe that u wud be dividing this 4 Mbps pipe within ur applications .

Assuming this u can move as below:

create subinterfaces on ur main router and attach vlans to it via L2.

int fa0/0

no ip address

speed 100

int fa0/0.101

encapsulation dot1q 101

ip address 192.168.20.2 255.255.255.252

rate-limit input 1024000 128000 64000 conform-action tranmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output 512000 128000 64000 conform-action tranmit exceed-action drop

speed 100

duplex full

---------------------

similarly u can configure for all the no.of interfaces u need alloting them b/w.

provide each application a specific sub-int.

Map these encapsulation 101 to particular vlan interface on L2 switch.

similarly u can do with others.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if anything else is needed.

Do rate the post as it helps to give proper output useful to all.

Foxbatreco.....

Hi,

Thanks for the nice reply.

Sir My scenario is I have a 4mbps E1 link. I am not using any kind of Router in this scenario. I am getting a direct connection from the MTU device and at present I directly connected this cable to the proxy server and I am getting net. But I want one more connection that I want to connect that connection to the Firewall for the other network and they are giving me only one connection, so it is not possible to connect the other network. The main problem is that Proxy is used for the students and firewall is used for the staff. I want to divide the link in 2-2mbps for each. I am using VLAN scenario. I want to send all the traffic from two Vlans. One for student and one for staff.

Give some solution that is suited for my network.

If there is still some doubt plz let me know. Thank u very much for the reply.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco