Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 PtP serial configuration

larrys
Level 1
Level 1

I have a plain E1 circuit

My e1 interfaces are configured as Clock source & line.

On my serial 1/0:1 interface do i also need to configure clocking & line clock & is PPP encapsulation required on the Serial Interfaces.

Many Thaks

Larry_s

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Clock setting is done on the controller E1. You do not need to re-enter this on the interface.

The interface serial 1/0:1 can be configred like a normal serial line. This means that you will need to specify the same encapsulation on both sides. However, this does not need to be PPP. The default (HDLC) works fine also.

Regards,

Leo

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Larry,

It depends on the sort of E1 service you have. If it is a raw unframed E1 service, simply configure one side with 'clock source internal' and the other with 'clock source line'. If it is a channelized E1 service, you may need to configure 'clock source line' at both ends. (Note: 'clock source line' is the default so you don't really need to configure it).

On the resulting serial interface, HDLC encapsulation will be used as default. While that will work quite well, you can configure 'encapsulation ppp' on both sides too...

Hope that helps - pls rate posts that help.

Regards,

Paresh

Paresh

I will be submitting this configuration This evening

so based on your assistance I believe all should go well. Pleased see attachment of proposed config for far end.

Any errors please feel free to advise.

Many Thansk

Larry_s

Hello Larry,

The config looks good.

Just one thing - if this is the config for the far end, just make sure the clocking at the local end is set to internal.

Regards,

Paresh.

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

usually clocking is done by the SP, so "clock source line" would be ok.

The serial interface needs no more additional clocking statement, the controller configuration takes care about it.

Regarding PPP: you should use the same settings on both ends of the E1. The Cisco default is HDLC and as long as both sides are having the same setting this should be fine.

In case your E1 connects to a non-Cisco device, probably "encapsulation ppp" is not a bad idea, as this is a standardized Layer2 protocol, which should be interoperable with standard compliant equipment of any vendor.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card