Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

eBGP square or triangle?

Hi,

Hopefully a simple eBGP question:

If I have 2 edge routers in an AS, and 2 edge routers in another AS is it best practices to have them in a square, or triangles?

By this I mean AS1 has router 1 and router 2 (running iBGP between them), and AS 2 has the same.

Is it best practice to have an eBGP peer between AS1 router 1 <-> AS2 router 1, and AS1 router 2 <-> AS2 router 2, or:

AS1 router 1 peering with AS2 router 1 and 2, and AS1 router 2 peering with AS2 router 1 and 2.

Either way, can somebody confirm the best practice and why?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• WAN Routing and Switching
2 REPLIES

Re: eBGP square or triangle?

Andy

if layer ONE allows for redundancy, meaning R1-AS1 has 2 different links to R1&R2-AS2 then I would fully mesh.

if not, there are still some benefits.

I would set up 3 session on each router.

in this case traffic outboud, would always exit via external AS. so R1-AS1 >> R1 or R2 -AS2 (Unless u have manipulated IBGP attributes).

why would I fully mesh ?

1-Redundancy.

2-less hops, by meshing. u are allowing BGP to use less hops which sometimes customers like to see (unless MPLS is used)

HTH

Sam

Re: eBGP square or triangle?

Sam,

Many thanks. I deployed with multiple eEBP peers i.e. each router has 2 x eBGP and 1 x iBGP for redundancy and found faster convergence.

Many thanks for your reply, it's good to get validation :-)

All the very best,

Andy

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.