cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP: Can be run between 2 routers (non in broadcast)

t4tauseef33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

FW1--------R1------R2-------FW3

FW= Firewall

R= Router

I want to run the EIGRP between FW1 & FW3 wihtout involving R2 & R3. Is it possible?

FW1 & FW2 are the firewalls so i cannot create a GRE tunnel between them for EIGRP routing exchange. Is there any way i can achieve it?

your help will be higly appriciated

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tauseef,

in this case only if R1 and R2 provide a L2 transport service you can achieve an EIGRP adjacency between the two FWs.

see L2tpv3 vlan based

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t2/feature/guide/gtl2tpv3.html#wp1043064

for this you need C2811 and above with suitable IOS image.

Other options include bridging over the links on R1 and R2 but in this case the topology can only do this.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

R1 & R2 are connected through the lease line. This lease line is currently in production 24/7 & also L2PTV3 will not serve this purpose and will effect the live traffic. Is any other mechanim i can use to run eigrp on these firewalls.

Hello Tauseef,

I think you can only use static routes in this case, unless you make R1 and R2 to participate in the same EIGRP domain that is something that can be acceptable.

FW1 will be EIGRP neighbor or R1 and FW2 neighbor or R2.

Edit:

I see that in your initial post you say without involving R1 and R2 so only static routes are left.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card