cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Errors

TRACY HARTMANN
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new router and when we connected it the following keeps coming up in the logs.   There is no interface errors or resets.  No issues with duplex or speed mis-match.   Below are the messages, what can I find on why these are coming?

Log Buffer (4096 bytes):
CHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 x: Neighbor X.x.x.x (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) is down: retry limit exceeded
Jul 27 15:53:32: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 : Neighbor  (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) is up: new adjacency
Jul 27 15:53:41: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 : Neighbor  (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) is down: retry limit exceeded
Jul 27 15:53:45: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 : Neighbor  (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) is up: new adjacency
Jul 27 15:53:52: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 : Neighbor  (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) is down: stuck in INIT state
Jul 27 15:53:57: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 : Neighbor  (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) is up: new adjacency
Jul 27 15:54:08: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 : Neighbor  (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) is down: retry limit exceeded
Jul 27 15:54:12: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4 : Neighbor  (GigabitEthernet0/0/0) is up: new adjacency

10 Replies 10

Hi Tracy,

Was there any recent change on your topology? or Any change on EIGRP Timers? Could you please share the following outputs:

show ip eigrp topology active
show ip eigrp neighbor

Thank you 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Predrag Jovic
Level 3
Level 3

The root cause can be Cisco bug CSCsc72090, a one-way link can cause this problem, as well as the case when unicast traffic between neighbors is broken (but multicast traffic is OK).

Please, check article Troubleshoot Common EIGRP Issues - Section: Exceeded Retry Limit.

Hello,

in addition to the other posts, MTU settings could also cause this. What is connected to the other end ?

The only change in topology is the addition of this router.  I haven't had to change the MTU on a Gig interface but I can if you think it will help.

Also I will look at the bug someone else referenced.

Thanks

I added a MTU size and that did not help.  This is connected to a 6807.

Hello,

are both devices directly connected, or is there a switch or anything else in between ? Can you post the output of 'show interfaces x' for both interfaces ?

Are both devices using the EIGRP default timer values?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hello

Just like to add, Basically what you are seeing is that the rtr is has sent multiple eigrp packets but its neighbor hasn't replied by sending any acknowledgments and thus timed out.

on either neighbor

sh ip eigrp neighbors

try extended pings each neighbor address for timeouts , Check for any L1/2 issue, interfaces errors, access-lists etc..

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

on a side note, and this venturing into weird territory, I found a thread that suggested that configuring:

ip information-reply

on the neighboring interfaces could possibly solve this issue...

According to specs

ip information-reply

To configure Cisco IOS software to send Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) information replies, use the ip information-reply command in interface configuration mode. To disable this function, use the no form of this command.

ip information-reply
no ip information-reply

That command should have nothing in common with issue, but sure, you can try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card