Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Failed Authentication

alfredobosca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am have configured mismatch key-strings between 2 EIGRP neighbor to force that happen authentication fail event. My goal is to see the event in Wireshark.

So is so odd because I dind't see any change in the hello EIGRP packets.

Somebody knows which should be the change?

Best regards,

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
I haven't tested this recently but I would have thought the hello packets wouldn't change , the relationship just wont form as the authentication is off on both sides the hello packets should still reach each other , if you debug the eigrp neighbour x.x.xx or debug ip eigrp all , rather the wireshark you may see more in the cli , I just installed a couple of 9k with eigrp authentication so I could break it and check if you need as im stil in install for a couple of days , I would think the authentication is the last stage , if theres no hellos it wont even get to that part

Hi

Adding to Mark comment, you can also use debug eigrp packets and debug ip eigrp notifications 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Sure, I knowed it these debug commands. However I want to see the packets through Wireshark. The differents type of EIGRP packets are: Hello, Update, Query, Reply, SIA Query, SIA Reply. In this way the authentication mode is sent through Update or Hello packets... I am not sure. I think that I should to see another field inside the hello or Update packet indicating a authentication issue. 

Best regards,

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alfredo,

This is strange. If you change the key-string in a key chain, the MD5 sum in the Hello packets must change; in EIGRP, every single packet is cryptographically signed if the authentication is on, and if the key chain changes, the MD5 sum must change, too.

Can you please post the configuration of the router where you tested the authentication, and describe how you changed the key chain to see a change in the Wireshark?

Best regards,
Peter

Hello,

I have 2 routers connected directly.

CCIE1#show run

router eigrp CCIE
 !
 address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 10
  !
  af-interface GigabitEthernet1/0/23
   authentication mode md5
   authentication key-chain CCIE
  exit-af-interface
  !
  topology base
  exit-af-topology
  network 169.20.20.0 0.0.0.3
  network 169.20.20.4 0.0.0.3
  eigrp router-id 1.1.1.1
 exit-address-family

key chain CCIE
 key 1
  key-string no //I have changed intentionally the password in order to view failed message in Wireshark
CCIE2#show run

key chain CCIE
 key 1
  key-string ccie.2018!

router eigrp 10
 network 169.20.20.4 0.0.0.3
 network 169.20.20.12 0.0.0.3
 eigrp router-id 2.2.2.2
 eigrp stub connected summary

If instead of change the password I change the RID is possible to view the change in update packets. Can you confirm if the authentication settings should be appear in the TLV field into the Hello packet?

Best regards,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card