Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP in Hub and Spoke

We do have a network configured as Hub and Spoke with 200 branches using DMVPN Phase 3 with OSPF technology for communication . We have 2 links at each branch having different bandwidth , once primary fails secondary takes over . Customer wants to also utlize both the links becuase the other one is sitting there idle and only used for backup purpose .

I was thinking to change the routing protocol from OSPF to EIGRP with Variance so that we can use both links at a time . We also have VoIP running on this network .

Has anyone worked on such a design and will that be a good practise to configure EIGRP with variance in a production network like this ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vivek Ganapathi
Level 4
Level 4

I don't see any issues with this design. I have a network running with EIGRP over DMVPN with around 200 branches. I understand why you feel it could be a problem.

Variance command as it says is to enable you to perform unequal load balancing. But in actual Traffic load balancing will be done by CEF & not by EIGRP. So, it is per-destination load balancing by default. This is not going to cause any troubles. Do let me know if you need more info.

Run EIGRP with variance & utilize your backup link !

Regards

Vivek

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Vivek Ganapathi
Level 4
Level 4

I don't see any issues with this design. I have a network running with EIGRP over DMVPN with around 200 branches. I understand why you feel it could be a problem.

Variance command as it says is to enable you to perform unequal load balancing. But in actual Traffic load balancing will be done by CEF & not by EIGRP. So, it is per-destination load balancing by default. This is not going to cause any troubles. Do let me know if you need more info.

Run EIGRP with variance & utilize your backup link !

Regards

Vivek

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card