Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

EIGRP in Hub and Spoke

We do have a network configured as Hub and Spoke with 200 branches using DMVPN Phase 3 with OSPF technology for communication . We have 2 links at each branch having different bandwidth , once primary fails secondary takes over . Customer wants to also utlize both the links becuase the other one is sitting there idle and only used for backup purpose .

I was thinking to change the routing protocol from OSPF to EIGRP with Variance so that we can use both links at a time . We also have VoIP running on this network .

Has anyone worked on such a design and will that be a good practise to configure EIGRP with variance in a production network like this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EIGRP in Hub and Spoke

I don't see any issues with this design. I have a network running with EIGRP over DMVPN with around 200 branches. I understand why you feel it could be a problem.

Variance command as it says is to enable you to perform unequal load balancing. But in actual Traffic load balancing will be done by CEF & not by EIGRP. So, it is per-destination load balancing by default. This is not going to cause any troubles. Do let me know if you need more info.

Run EIGRP with variance & utilize your backup link !

Regards

Vivek

1 REPLY

EIGRP in Hub and Spoke

I don't see any issues with this design. I have a network running with EIGRP over DMVPN with around 200 branches. I understand why you feel it could be a problem.

Variance command as it says is to enable you to perform unequal load balancing. But in actual Traffic load balancing will be done by CEF & not by EIGRP. So, it is per-destination load balancing by default. This is not going to cause any troubles. Do let me know if you need more info.

Run EIGRP with variance & utilize your backup link !

Regards

Vivek

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content