cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP issue

minimintu
Level 1
Level 1

i have 7600 router at central location and 2800 series router at far end.there is 2mbps point to point connectivity between central location and far end. There are 120 locations.now it is planned that EIGRP protocol is to be applied.

now my question is that why EIGRP to be used? why to offer uneccessary broadcast on WAN link? why not use simple static route?plzzz provide me with the answer

2 Replies 2

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

The static routes are easy to configure and get work done in small networks if u just have 2 locations it will be good to have static routes but incase you have big networks and many locations like 120 you said it will be very difficult to configure statci routes if you want all locations to talk to all locations.

If you implement eigrp or infact any dynamic routing protocol like OSPF it will be easy for all locations to talk to all locations and easy to configure and troubleshoot and protocols are smart enough to install best route in routing table.

I hope I am clear and there are lot many other benefits to configure routing protocols for big networks to make work easy.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

The static routes are easy to configure and get work done in small networks if u just have 2 locations it will be good to have static routes but incase you have big networks and many locations like 120 you said it will be very difficult to configure statci routes if you want all locations to talk to all locations.

If you implement eigrp or infact any dynamic routing protocol like OSPF it will be easy for all locations to talk to all locations and easy to configure and troubleshoot and protocols are smart enough to install best route in routing table.

I hope I am clear and there are lot many other benefits to configure routing protocols for big networks to make work easy.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco