Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP load balancing

Hi All,

I need some advice. I need to choose a routing protocol that can offer me load balancing and backup failover. I have two 2mb/s links between the two sides, and a third 2mb/s MPLS link. I need to load balance between the two 2mb/s links but should both links fail, I have to sent traffic through the MPLS link.

I know EIGRP can do this. I am I right? is there something else to consider?. I need to only load balance on the two links and only use the MPLS link as a backup.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes EIGRP will work and IMO it's the easiest to setup. The 2MB links should load balance if they are equal and you can add delay to the MPLS link so it will not be used until the other links go down.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes EIGRP will work and IMO it's the easiest to setup. The 2MB links should load balance if they are equal and you can add delay to the MPLS link so it will not be used until the other links go down.

And, just to add to Collin's post, EIGRP also supports unequal cost load balancing with the variance, which other protocols don't do.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OSPF can also easily do what you want. The two primary links would be costed the same, the backup link costed higher.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card