cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP loadbalancing

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

I have two core swicthes connected to two diffrent routers .Both are router have seprate links to two diffrent destination.I have data and voice traffic i want to prefer one link for data and another link for voice traffic and i am using eigrp in my network using delay command under eigrp config how can i do that .

3 Replies 3

EIGRP, by default, uses minimum bandwidth + total delay * 256 to arrive at the composite metric for a route. Tweak the delay values on the interfaces to achieve load balancing as you desire. An alternative would be to use offset list under the EIGRP process to tweak the metrics. This is assuming that data and voice are different IP networks. Instead if they share the same network then you may have to use policy routing to force voice and data to take different paths.

It would help if you can post a simple topology diagram with IP addresses and a clear description of what you want to achieve.

HTH

Sundar

Modifying the delay would affect the metric all routes learnt from the neighbor and hence doesn't seem to be a feasible solution in your case.

topology diagram would surely help

Narayan

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

If your goal is to separate data and voice, you should use QoS. If you aren't familiar with QoS, you can use "auto qos voip".

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124tcr/tqos_r/qos_a1ht.htm#wp1129291

Also, new version of EIGRP will able to have per-marking topology. I.E. packets with different DSCP codes will prefer different links. But this concept still relies on packets being marked.

As said in previous posts - if Voice destinations are different from data destinations, it is possible to separate the flows by routing. Otherwise you should use classification and marking QoS mechanisms.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card