cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP loop? How can I locate/determine this?

Steve Coady
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a recent EIGRP network in place. bandwidth at several sites is maxed out.

I want to rule out an EIGRP loop!

sMc
3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

tbatth
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Steve

By eigrp loop, you mean to say routing loop in the network? Could you do traceroute of some network to see if it loops somewhere?

You can reduce bandwidth that eigrp uses on the link by below command.

ip bandwidth-percent eigrp.

View solution in original post

Hello

The command  stated needs to be applied to the interface that eigrp is activated on.,

Please note eigrp by default eigrp uses only 50% of the designated link bandwidth , so over slow wan links this can be a issue?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steve

Do you mean bandwidth to the AVPN cloud or bandwidth within the LAN. It is very unlikely you would need to use the bandwidth-percent eigrp command on a LAN interface. That command, as Paul says, is really only useful on slow WAN links.

Jon

6 Replies 6

tbatth
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Steve

By eigrp loop, you mean to say routing loop in the network? Could you do traceroute of some network to see if it loops somewhere?

You can reduce bandwidth that eigrp uses on the link by below command.

ip bandwidth-percent eigrp.

Telpir

Thanbk you for the response.

Where does the ip bandwidth-percent eigrip command go?

The WAN router connects to the LAN L3 switch via Gi0/0. Does this command need to go on the WAN router int and the L3 switch int?

sMc

Hello

The command  stated needs to be applied to the interface that eigrp is activated on.,

Please note eigrp by default eigrp uses only 50% of the designated link bandwidth , so over slow wan links this can be a issue?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steve

Do you mean bandwidth to the AVPN cloud or bandwidth within the LAN. It is very unlikely you would need to use the bandwidth-percent eigrp command on a LAN interface. That command, as Paul says, is really only useful on slow WAN links.

Jon

Jon

Thank you for the response.

The original query was in response to our new WAN partners experiencing poor application performance. Becuase of the new WAN link for them, they were sure it was the WAN. It wasn't! The interface leading to their servers was hard coded to the lowest speed. That was resolved and performance has normalized.

Since we are redistributing EIGRP into BGP the "bandwidth-percent eigrp command" would really on be useable on the LAN interface, yes?

sMc

Steve

Since we are redistributing EIGRP into BGP the "bandwidth-percent eigrp command" would really on be useable on the LAN interface, yes?

Correct, although as i say i have never seen it used on a LAN link because the amount of bandwidth EIGRP uses is relatively small. On a slow WAN link it can be useful but it would have to be quite limited in terms of bandwidth before you needed to use it.

Becuase of the new WAN link for them, they were sure it was the WAN.

Always the way isn't it. Blame the network until proven otherwise

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card