Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP on MPLS

Jacob Samuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I need to connect my network to the Telco over MPLS. I have 10 Branches connecting to my HQ. I am running EIGRP at my network, i want to connect the Network to the Telco's MPLS. Telco is runnig BGP on the network, i want to know how to connect / re-distribute my private network (EIGRP Network) over the BGP.

thanks and regards

Jacob

6 Replies 6

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacob,

If the site has one router currently running EIGRP, you will have to replace EIGRP by BGP.

For sites where you have several routers running EIGRP, the one which will face the Telco will need to speak both BGP and EIGRP and do mutual redistribution between both protocols.

HTH

Laurent.

Dear Laurent,

Thanks a lot for the Update.

My scenario is i have a HQ running two 7200 router, (redundant) and need to get connect to the Branches using IP-VPN over MPLS (like hub design).

All bracnh offices will have one router (2811) connecting to HQ. i want to know what to be configured on my routers to connect these offices, keeping EIGRP on my network or even replacing EIGRP with static routing.

on brancehs i have 2800 series router i have only one network at each branches (Branch 1 - 192.168.200.x/24

Branch 2 - 192.168.201.x/24 ...)

Can i run and redistribution both BGP and EIGRP on the HQ and the branch office 2811 small router. how to do the redistribution in this case?

Thanks a lot and appreciate your response.

regards

Jacob

At the remote sites you will only need BGP and a static route (I use the default route to point to the MPLS cloud). BGP requires that all advertised subnets be in the routing table. Since all the routes are locally connected, they are in the table. Even if you configure EIGRP, it will not have any peers and thus creates unneeded overhead. At the head end you will still need to use EIGRP and BGP and redistribute between the two (as the others stated). Here's a redistribution example-

router eigrp 1

redistribute bgp 65001 route-map bgp2eigrp

ip access-list standard bgp2eigrp

remark Permit Green Bay Private Subnets

permit 192.216.1.0 0.0.0.255

remark Permit Green Bay Private MPLS Network

permit 12.15.17.132 0.0.0.3

remark Permit Appleton Private Subnets

permit 192.117.2.0 0.0.0.255

remark Permit Appleton Private MPLS Network

permit 12.15.17.140 0.0.0.3

route-map bgp2eigrp permit 10

match ip address bgp2eigrp

set metric 1000 1 255 1 1500

You may also want to use prefix lists to filter what routes are allowed into BGP.

Hope that helps

HI Clark,

Thanks a lot for the details. At the Branch side i will do the

"redistribute static" command only on the BGP along with the default route pointing to BGP cloude?

regards

Jacob

You only have a single router at the remote sites correct? If so, then you do NOT need to redistribute BGP. BGP will be your only routing protocol at the site. No EIGRP. Yes the default route will point to the cloud.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

Here is an example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_tech_note09186a00801eb09a.shtml

It pretty much shows what the first answer is referring to.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco