cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP or OSPF for IGP?

huangedmc
Level 3
Level 3

We're debating on which protocol to use as the IGP for our remote sites.

The remote sites are separated by BGP, so whatever IGP they run will be independent from each other.

EIGRP seems to be easier to configure, but OSPF provides interoperability w/ non-Cisco vendors.

What's everyone running?

Anyone has any recommendations?

3 Replies 3

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

EIGRP is great if you have all cisco gear.

If interoperability is an issue, go w/ OSPF. OSPF can be a little pickier w/ BGP, but its no biggie.

Adam

Kevin

The choice of protocol for IGP may be made for many different reasons. You mention an important reason for choosing OSPF because it is multi vendor interoperable. I have worked with some customers who chose OSPF because it is standards based and they would rather deploy standards based solutions than proprietary solutions. I have seen networks use OSPF where the hierarchial nature of OSPF (a single backbone area and multiple subsidiary areas) fit nicely to the hierarchial nature of their network.

I have also seen reasons to choose EIGRP. Perhaps a network wants to be able to summarize at any point in the network (OSPF restricts summarization to only Area Border routers and ASBRs while EIGRP allows summarization at any point) or perhaps they want to be able to filter out some routes in some parts of the network while advertising them in other parts of the network (EIGRP easily does this while OSPF does not), or perhaps they want to adjust the metric of some routes while leaving others routes unadjusted (OSPF does not have a mechanism for adjusting metric after the initial LSA is generated while EIGRP does this quite nicely). There are also some people who choose EIGRP because it is a bit easier to configure or because it does not have quite as many restrictions as OSPF does.

You really need to give careful thought to your network environment and to clearly establish the objectives and requirements for an IGP. At that point you should be able to decide whether OSPF or EIGRP was a better fit for your network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi

1.Almost all Enterprise Networks starts growing at some point of time. ( Scalability )

2.As there are lot of vendors whose other networking products are also good , and network managers also have their choices,that which product they should opt for. ( interoperability )

3.Network Security products from different vendors should be seamlessely integreated with existing network.

If you take into account above considerations , then OSPF would be good choice.

But , EIGRP also has good features like

1.unequal cost load balancing

2.Also feasible successor is always stored in topology table, this adds to faster convergence.

Still , i feel OSPF & BGP would be great combination.

HTH...rate if helpful..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card