Replies

EIGRP routing entry

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

Given the following scenario:

D 100.1.1.0 [90/138752] via 192.168.1.2, 00:00:02, Ethernet0/0

In bold, I understand 90 is the AD and the "138752" is the metric, but I thought the metric was what the neighbor router was reporting back to this router as its distance to the destination. Is that not the case? I can change bandwidth or delay and this metric changes when I change the local, which would seem that the metric is a calculation from this router to the next hop.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

Now, I will definitely smack you :) j/k

We went over this already on the other thread and Giuseppe mentioned this very fact.

The delay is the sum all delays from the source to the destination and the bandwidth information is the minimum bandwidth from the source towards the destination.

If you want to see the values for each metric for 100.1.1.0 route, type show ip eigrp topo 100.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 and pull out your windows calculator and good luck :)

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,John,

Let's check by using a "sh ip ei topo" command. You will see that the RD-metric is the metric that the router has received from the next-hop router. What you have to do next is to plus it with the local metric. What you see in the routing table is FD(RD+Local Metric).

Toshi

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John,

Now, I will definitely smack you :) j/k

We went over this already on the other thread and Giuseppe mentioned this very fact.

The delay is the sum all delays from the source to the destination and the bandwidth information is the minimum bandwidth from the source towards the destination.

If you want to see the values for each metric for 100.1.1.0 route, type show ip eigrp topo 100.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 and pull out your windows calculator and good luck :)

__

Edison.

Edison,

In my topology table, I have:

192.168.1.2 (Ethernet0/0), from 192.168.1.2, Send flag is 0x0

Composite metric is (138752/128256), Route is Internal

So in the route entry:

D 100.4.1.0 [90/138752] via 192.168.1.2, 01:48:23, Ethernet0/0

The 138752 is the equivalent of my FD?

Thanks,

John

P.S. Don't smack me too hard....I've got a headache from this crap :)

Ah! I got it :)

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card