cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP routing exercise... ran into problems

benhart007
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All, Tonight I setup EIGRP on my three routers. Attached is a network map. I can successfully ping all interfaces to every other one, and I can ping the default-gateway from every interface. I've got both endpoints setup to provide DHCP for their subnets...which works. Both of my nodes pulled the correct DHCp information. But when I attempt to pull a website...they all time out. I have no setup any access-lists or anyhting like that so I'm so totally stumped it's not funny. please advise.

11 Replies 11

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Where is your internet router located here. How do you go to internet. That is the first thing to check.

Please paste the appropriate config and also check for routes for all the segments on your router.

regards,

-amit singh

Hello,

another thing you could check is if your default gateway router (with IP address 192.168.15.2) is participating in your EIGRP AS 1 configuration. At the very least, you need a default route at the exit point of your AS. If the default gateway is participating in your EIGRP, put a static route on there:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 interface x

Or, if your frame hub router (with IP address 192.168.15.1) is the last router participating in your AS, put the default route mentioned above on that router.

Also, when you do a traceroute to a website form one of your clients, where does it stop ?

Regards,

GP

Hi All,

gpauwen you mean to say default gateway router should be aware about all the subnets being used in network and hub should have default route pointing to 192.168.15.2

With all these thing you can make your spoke router as stub and publish a default route on both the spoke.and also put an static route in hub router so for an local network it should not go to internet router.

192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 null0

HTH

Kamlesh

Hello Kamlesh,

what I meant to say was that a default route needs to be present at the AS exit router, and I am not sure which one that is. The route can the be redistributed:

router eigrp 1

redistribute static metric 10000 1000 1 255 1500

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0

or, as you suggested, stub routing can be configured on the spoke routers. The default route on the hub router would still be required...

Regards,

GP

Ok here is my route config from the hub router...which is the middle one on that bmp.

2503-hub#sh ip route

Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP

D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2

E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP

i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area

* - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR

P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is 0.0.0.0 to network 0.0.0.0

C 192.168.30.0/24 is directly connected, Serial1

C 192.168.15.0/24 is directly connected, Ethernet0

D 192.168.10.0/24 [90/2195456] via 192.168.30.1, 12:16:59, Serial1

C 192.168.40.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0

S* 0.0.0.0/0 is directly connected, Ethernet0

This is what your talking about right as far as having a default route pointed to ethernet 0?

You should specify the next hop on your default route to ethernet0. With no gateway the router must do an arp requrest for a feasible path to unknown hosts, it has no idea where to send it. This isn't a problem on a point to point circuit with only one place to go.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

Hi,

In your routing table gateway of last resort is not set which should be 192.168.15.2 and one of your local network is not in the routing table which is 192.168.20.0/24. your static route should have the next hop 192.168.15.2

HTH

I thought that what I did by adding the static route of "0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ethernet 0"...but Im wrong? I also tried adding another static route of "192.168.15.2 255.255.255.0 ethernet 0" but got an error stating invalid subnet mask..

See my default router of 192.168.15.2 is a linksys cable router...I can add static routes on it but Im unsure as of how to add one pointing to the hub router. Right now it's setup as a plain gateway..not routing anything. Or maybe Im missing something which is entirely possible.

o_dogorshom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I think there is a lot of things that you have to check as: are using private or global IP addresses to connect to the internet, if you use global IPs then your IPs must be advirtised to Internet and if you use private IPs then you have to implement NAT to Glabal IP addresses, also you must have default route in your Internet gateway router pointing to your service provider gateway and the other routers must have default route pointing to your Internet router, and this default route can be configured manually on each switch individually or you can configure defualt network in the EIGRP of the Internet router.

regards

Dude, read further up the posts... Im using a linksys cable router...by default NAT is enabled so no I do not have to worry about trying to attach private IP's to the internet.

No one here seems to get what Im trying to say...I posted the route table from my hub router, I posted on here that I attempted to add a static route of "192.168.15.2 255.255.255.0 ethernet 0" on my hub router. (that first IP is my cable router), but the command didnt take, gave me an error about an incorrect subnet mask. My whole point in posting on here is to find out what router should I forcus on adding? a specific one pointing to the actual IP on my cable router?, or a blank default route of 0.0.0.0

When you add a host route, the subnet mask has to be all 1's (32 bits). The following should work:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.15.2

ip route 192.168.15.2 255.255.255.255 ethernet0

HTH,

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card