cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Static Redistribution with Metrics

rmeans
Level 3
Level 3

I have two connections to the internet (HQ and hub). HQ will be the preferred path and the hub site will be the backup. I am running EIGRP on my internal network. My hub site has a PIX firewall running 8.0. I want to enable EIGRP and redistribute statics into EIGRP on the PIX firewall. The PIX firewall has a static default route configured in it. I want to weigh the redistribution so that the PIX (hub site) is only used when HQ is down. I think I will be using the following command

redistribute static metric <bandwidth> <delay> <reliability> <effective bandwidth> <MTU path>

I am not sure what or how each variable impacts EIGRP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So both static routes have AD of 170.

Well the metric that is recommended to change is the delay. Usually you have a choice of bandwidth and delay but bandwidth can affect other things such as QOS. So you may want to tweak the delay.

An offset-list would be very useful so you could set the metrics coming from the pix so high they would never be used in normal circumstances but looking at the ASA v8.x guide for EIGRP it doesn't look like this is supported. You may be able to look at implemnting an offset-list on the nearest L3 device to the pix.

Attached is a doc to influencing EIGRP metrics, has a few other solutions as well -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c2d96.shtml

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rick

Do you have another default-route for the HQ internet traffic. Bear in mind that if you redistribute the static route on the hub pix it will have an AD of 170.

If you have another default-route for the HQ what is the AD for that.

Jon

At the HQ site I have an ASA firewall but I am not running a routing protocol on it. The static default route is defined in the core 6500 which are running EIGRP and redistributing statics. I am using EIGRP's default metrics.

Just counting hops, if I add EIGRP to the hub PIX, there will be several networks that would start using the hub PIX for internet access.

So both static routes have AD of 170.

Well the metric that is recommended to change is the delay. Usually you have a choice of bandwidth and delay but bandwidth can affect other things such as QOS. So you may want to tweak the delay.

An offset-list would be very useful so you could set the metrics coming from the pix so high they would never be used in normal circumstances but looking at the ASA v8.x guide for EIGRP it doesn't look like this is supported. You may be able to look at implemnting an offset-list on the nearest L3 device to the pix.

Attached is a doc to influencing EIGRP metrics, has a few other solutions as well -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c2d96.shtml

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card