Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP stub and DSCP

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

1. ''EIGRP stub connected.''

Does this command prevent the router from been a transit router. What about other traffic destined to the router,will they be prevented.

2. does NTP relationship use hello and hold time? How is it altered?

3.why is MHSRP preferred to GLBP for load balancing and fail over.

4.(config-pmap-c)set ip dscp EF

(config-pmap-c)set dscp EF

What the difference in the above two commands.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Just,

1) EIGRP stuub connected makes the router a leaf in EIGRP topology it cannot propagate EIGRP routes by other routers but just its own connected subnets.

There shouldn't be any side effect on other type of traffic including management traffic like NTP

2) NTP should use a single message format

see

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc958.txt

and it is not a logic like a routing protocol but more client/server.

3) I think GLBP can be preferred to having multiple HSRP groups on the same Vlan.

4) the first command applies only to IPv4

the second command can mark both IPv4 and IPv6 packets

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I understand and appreciate, but as regards No. 3,what I am asking is the major difference because they look alike to me. I know MHSRP support tracking. thus GLBP too?

GLBP = automatic load-balancing in the sense that with the clients you simply set up the same default-gateway for all clients in that subnet.

MHSRP is not as flexible. With this setup you need to make sure half the clients use one default-gateway and the other half of the clients use the other default-gateway.

If you are looking to load-balance rather than just have a redundant gateway i would suggest using GLBP not MHSRP.

Jon

Hello Just,

GLBP supports tracking options with object tracking

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_glbp_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1055276

with GLBP you have a two dimensions "priority"

tracking allows to decide who takes the role as primary forwarder for each AVF (Active Virtual Forwarder)

the GLBP priority is used instead to elect the AVG (Active Virtual Gateway).

Client ARP requests are answered by AVG providing alternate AVF MAC addresses using a load balancing algorithm (default should be round-robin other options are possible)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: