cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

I was reading up on eigrp, it says that its uses bandwidth and delay, I thought it used hop count also ?

also what is the delay, is this lower on certain types of interface i.e via ethernet or serial ?

thanks

Carl

3 Replies 3

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

No EIGRP does not uses hop count. RIP uses hop count. EIGRP uses bandwidth, delay, load, reliability and MTU. By default it only uses the bandwidth and delay. You can see the delay of an interface from the show interface, and the value can be changed using the delay command on the interface.

The delay should be an indication of the propagation delay in milliseconds across the link.

Actually, EIGRP does use the hop count! I little bit of trivia.... EIGRP only checks the hop count to make certain the route isn't over 255 hops. Of course, if you have a network with more than 255 hops and no summarization, well, you probably have other problems than worrying about the max hop count in EIGRP!

:-)

Russ.W

michael.l.choo
Level 1
Level 1

One other thing to note is the bandwidth that EIGRP uses depends on the bandwidth that IOS BELIEVES the interface runs. Therefore, if you have, for instance, 256Kbps frame relay, you will have to configure the proper bandwidth statement on the interface. Otherwise, EIGRP might use full T1/E1 bandwidth in its calculation, rather than the actual physical bandwidth of 256Kbps, which could result in sub-optimal routing, depending on your network topology.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card