cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eliminating unwanted chars from banner

dgalati000
Level 1
Level 1

Can't seem to get rid of extra characters in banners for either, login, motd or exec.  Do i understand the cmd properly: that the result will be the deliminiter at the start AND end of the text ?  Why can't I get rid of the extra "C" char at the start and end of banner ?  Here's what I have:

banner motd  ^C

text

text

text

8 Replies 8

Hi ,

Try without it

banner motd  ^

text

text

text

^

Regards

Dan

hi dan, I did...just the delimiter and I still get the C...is it a windows notepad carriage return ? 

Hi ,

I would dont think so...I would try to paste it first on a notepad , to be sure that you have copy the right test.

If this doesn't have the expected output, I wound try to write it by hand - some random text.

You can choose any delimiting character so you can type :

banner motd #

some random text

#

Regards

Dan

Aaaaah , now I understand

You are looking in the config and you see ^C

Those will not apear as a part of the banner , is inserted by the IOS

Regards

Dan

Im doing it from notepad, just using the ^ delimiter....here's my input >>

banner motd ^C

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

B           This is a xxxxxx      xsystem.                                                                            B

B                                                                                                                                  B

B      Unauthorized use is prohibited and subject to                                                           B

B   prosecution. All activity on this system is logged                                                         B

B       and monitored for law enforcement purposes.                                                          B

B                                                                                                                                  B

^C

Here's right off the router,  i remember being able to LOSE the C's ?  maybe Im making too much of this and it cannot be entered without the delimiter or the C (which i used to understand as a carriage return on a windows pc >>>

banner motd ^CC

B           This is a xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx system.                                                                B

B      Unauthorized use is prohibited and subject to                                                           B

B   prosecution. All activity on this system is logged                                                         B

B       and monitored for law enforcement purposes.                                                          B

^C

dan, I see your latest email reply btw....

So , paste your banner just with ^ , at the start and end, without C after.

Just like this

banner motd ^

B           This is a xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx system.                                                                B

^

In your config ^C will apear , but will not be shown to the users.

Dan

i did that and it DOES show on the router output when looking at the config...maybe its because of my auth level ?  I may just let this be, too many other more important things to do than worry about it.  thx all the same for the quick responses guy....unless you have any other suggestions. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card