Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Embedded Packet Capture on a Virtual Tunnel Interface

I've noticed something idiosyncratic with respect to the behavior of the IOS Embedded Packet Capture (EPC) feature in IOS 12.4(22T).

I have a DMVPN virtual tunnel interface (IPSEC encrypted). When I apply an outbound-only EPC capture point for cef-switched packets to the tunnel interface and view the capture, I see only what I would expect to (and do) see on the tunnel's parent interface: ESP packets with the source and destination addresses of the DMVPN headends - the packets which comprise the tunnel, i.e. the outside of the tunnel. Inbound I see the traffic within the tunnel, as expected.

If the capture point is set to collect outbound-only process-switched packets instead of cef, I seem to see BOTH the process-switched packets within the tunnel and the encapsulating ESP packets.

Is this behavior documented anywhere?

Is there any way to capture the outbound tunnel contents for cef-switched packets?

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Embedded Packet Capture on a Virtual Tunnel Interface

Hello Ben,

Cisco declares to be able to capture CEF switched packets

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/nm_packet_capture_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1062149

However, you have evidence that for DMVPN packets this doesn't happen.

I don't know if adding a capture point can help.

You may open a Cisco SR for this with TAC.

Clearly the feature is new and the code may need to be tuned to cover a scenario like yours.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Re: Embedded Packet Capture on a Virtual Tunnel Interface

Regardless of whether the traffic is CEF or process-switched, when capturing on a tunnel interface, I would never expect to see the packets that make up the tunnel. I would only expect to see the contents of the tunnel.

I should emphasize that this problem only occurs outbound; inbound packet capture works as expected, and I see the contents of the tunnel (and, quite properly, nothing else) when I capture either CEF or process-switched traffic.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content