Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling IP NHRP on 3750

Kiley Arena
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area  - I have an issue that we hope to overcome - that of configuring multipoint GRE tunnels with ip nhrp on 3750 switches enabled for routinig.  There are no options to configure it as we see; we've enabled multicast routing thinking that would provide configuration options for our tunnel interfaces but, alas and alak, no luck. Does anyone know if this is even possible?

Thanks in advance very much for any guidance and enlightenment!!!

Kiley                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This is not possible, this is a router feature.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This is not possible, this is a router feature.

Regards

Alain

You know, I just hate it when I have that feeling that it wasn't going to work!!  Argggh!  Alain, thank you very much for your quick response, I appreciate it greatly!

We want to use multipoint GRE but, if we can't use ip nhrp on top of it, do you know what we can use in its place?

Thanks again.

Kiley

Hello Kiley,

mGRE is not supported on LAN switches like C3750 as Alain has noted, it is not only a question of NHRP.

Besides this, even the use of p2p GRE tunnels on switches like these, is not recommended as it is likely process switched loading the main cpu of the switch instead of being processed in hardware.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card